Clear all

For those who are self-taught

40 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hmmm.... would I play guitar on a rap song?? If the content of the song did not offend me, I would do it. You could practice diligently for a week and probably pull it off great. Now, try playing guitar well in one week. :roll:

Well, said, Bruddah!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

And let's do our best to keep this on topic.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

True, Dave...

"For those that are self-taught"...I guess what you are ABLE to do as you learn is incremental. Being self taught leaves all your inspirations (IE: role models) open to your own limitations rather than a teacher pointing out what's best to follow??? This is probably the biggest difference...

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@alamo)

hi guys ..i,m brand new to the site so bear with me..i,m getting on a bit but i bought a guitar just recently (2months ago) to try to learn how to play..looked all over the net at many sites to try to find the best place to start at but theres that much varied info on learning that i cant decide where to start and my brains turned to mush :shock: i,m thinkin of learning the very basic chords to start with and trying to learn a song intro ( i like Gary Moore,s Parissiene Walkways intro)just to break up the boredom..i,m trying to learn myself so i have to keep giving myself a kick up the backsides to keep going and i,m only 2 months into this otherwise my guitar will be stuck in the corner gathering dust so if anyone could point me in the best direction to start with i would appreciate it..tx

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

I've been playing for five years and have never taken a formal lesson. I started playing because of a dream I had where I walked into a music store, picked up a bass and was effortlessly awesome at it. About three weeks later I went to a music store, pickup up a bass and was effortlessly amatuer, but I walked out with the bass just the same.

I started out using the internet to teach myself. I looked up basic tuning, techniques and a lot of different tabs for some songs that I wanted to learn. A lot of them were far too diffucult for me at first, but I was able to learn some of them relatively quickly. That gave me a basic start.

Later, I started reading some basic method books, which really helped me with my technique, taught me some basic scales and gave me some great ideas for my own songs. I learned how to read music from these books as well. After that, I had basically gained enough understanding to learn anything else I wanted.

Since then I've learned a lot of blues and jazz stuff, and I'd have to say I'm pretty decent.

I agree with Cat's comment about self-teaching leaving you open to your own limitations and not some other person's, I think that's a huge advantage. Of course, if I'd had a teacher show me some key things in the space of a few hours when I first started, I would have saved some time in the beginning--formal teaching can definitely acclerate the learning process.

alamo,

I'd recommend you get a couple of books that discuss basic technique first. If you start off with a "wrong" technique, you'll have to un-learn several things before you can learn the better ways. Also, get a basic chord dictionary, you'll be able to learn a lot from it.

Finally check out some tabs on the internet for some your favorite songs and see if you can learn them.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I started out using the internet to teach myself. I looked up basic tuning, techniques and a lot of different tabs for some songs that I wanted to learn. A lot of them were far too diffucult for me at first, but I was able to learn some of them relatively quickly. That gave me a basic start.

I'm using a lot of internet resources to glean information. I especially love this site, the lessons and the cammeraderie. I haven't seen anything as helpful. Youtube has some great videos, but I found you have to pick through them for a particular song. Some instruction is really poor, others are great.
Later, I started reading some basic method books, which really helped me with my technique, taught me some basic scales and gave me some great ideas for my own songs. I learned how to read music from these books as well. After that, I had basically gained enough understanding to learn anything else I wanted.

I've picked up a couple of books inclusing Guitar for Dummies and Rock Guitar for Dummies. I'm going to get something that's more in-depth theory.
I agree with Cat's comment about self-teaching leaving you open to your own limitations and not some other person's, I think that's a huge advantage. Of course, if I'd had a teacher show me some key things in the space of a few hours when I first started, I would have saved some time in the beginning--formal teaching can definitely acclerate the learning process.

As a few people said in other threads, it's all about intepretation and personal style. I'm realizing that I'm never going to sound like the original recording, nor should I. If it sounds right, it probably is. I'm not playing things the way my former teacher tabbed them out or played them. I'm finding what works for me and sounds good to me.
Finally check out some tabs on the internet for some your favorite songs and see if you can learn them.

Got a pile of 'em! :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@alamo)

txs for the reply xylem... :D can you suggest any books that would be useful. :?: ..must admit i,ve been looking around the net at useful sites to learn about guitar and this one is the best of the bunch :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Well, since I'm primarily a bass player I'm not too sure about guitar books in general. BUT, I know several accomplished teachers that use and recommend Hal Leonard's Guitar Method Volume 1. My suspiscion is that you will probably not use everything in that book, but most of it should be useful to you.

Also, check out Hal Leonard's Picture Chord Encyclopedia by Adam St. James.

If you have a music store in your area that has a decent collection of print music (which is getting rare), spend some time browsing and see what you like.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

hi guys ..i,m brand new to the site so bear with me..i,m getting on a bit but i bought a guitar just recently (2months ago) to try to learn how to play..looked all over the net at many sites to try to find the best place to start at but theres that much varied info on learning that i cant decide where to start and my brains turned to mush :shock: i,m thinkin of learning the very basic chords to start with and trying to learn a song intro ( i like Gary Moore,s Parissiene Walkways intro)just to break up the boredom..i,m trying to learn myself so i have to keep giving myself a kick up the backsides to keep going and i,m only 2 months into this otherwise my guitar will be stuck in the corner gathering dust so if anyone could point me in the best direction to start with i would appreciate it..tx
This site is an exellent source for learning. I say, if you feel like trying to learn a song intro, go for it. Playing what you want to hear and enjoying it is what will keep you going. Learn your basic chords, you will use them often. It is your musical alphabet. You will need it to express yourself in this language. Make it fun, enjoy it, don't expect too mch of yourself too fast. When you least expect it you will grow in leaps and bounds. Playing guitar is one of the best choices I have made in my lifetime. It provides comfort and relaxation, excitement and frustration. All and all, well worth the effort.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Make it fun, enjoy it, don't expect too mch of yourself too fast. When you least expect it you will grow in leaps and bounds. Playing guitar is one of the best choices I have made in my lifetime. It provides comfort and relaxation, excitement and frustration. All and all, well worth the effort.

Wish I had said that!

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3