Clear all

Forearm movement

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@59lespaul)
Topic starter  

Hi guys
I would like to get your opinion on a bad habit which may be developing.
When playing from high E to low E for example, practicing scales, do you move your forearm up and down the guitar to maintain the wrist angle across all strings? For me, its most comfortable when playing on the higher strings, then when crossing to the low strings mainly A and E its very uncomfortable because of my wrist angle. The way around this is to slide my forearm up a little to maintain my wrist angle, is this what you do? Do you use another method?
Thanks

(@alangreen)

The picking arm comes across the body just above the elbow, and playing a scale means that the hand naturally traces an arc across the neck, which will affect the picking angle, even if only by a small amount.

If what you're doing allows you to achieve a scale (for example) at a consistent tempo, then I can't really see that there's anything wrong with it other than you might just be working harder than you need to.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chroma)
Eminent Member

Sounds like you're fixed in position, and a little fixated on it. Some people stay put most of the time, some don't. I tend to saw my arm forward a little when playing across strings, but that can vary depending on the picking angle one uses per string (let alone type of articulation intended at the time). Hover your arm a little, move around when you play, find your balance.

ReplyQuote