Notifications
Clear all

learning chord progressions - 3 questions

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shugs23)
Topic starter  

New to guitar, so I have been learning chord progressions, so I can switch smoothly and cleanly. I am getting close to mastering C, G, D, and A Majors progressions I-IV-V; I-vi-IV-V; I-vi-ii-V and I-ii-V and also A,E,B and F# Minor Progressions..i-VI-VII; I-iv-VII; i-iv-v and i-VI-III-VII....On the major chords I will throw in the G7,D7,A7, and E7 for the V chord half the time. (I don't use a v7 on the minor progressions, but not sure if I should)

So questions 1 and 2 are : What other keys and progressions should I add next. I am getting close to the point where I need to evolve. (I definitely enjoy sound of Minor progressions over Major)

Question 3 : So David Bowie's Rock and Roll Suicide came up on my IPod (my age is showing) and I thought immediately I should practice this song....Googled the chords being played, and saw that it doesn't fit any progression that I have learned ( although I know most of the chords)....so now I am a littler flummoxed....Been trying to understand the theory, but this song threw me off....

I would appreciate any advice or direction to go next....Thanks much

(@alangreen)

The progressions you're working with ae a good starting point.

As you've realised, any number of songs use chords which don't ordinarily fit the key you're in. Accept that this is so, and if it sounds good then use it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@shugs23)
Topic starter  

thanks for answering question 3.....any suggestions on next chords and/or keys ? Is there a 'natural' progression or order to expand my skill ? I am at that point...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'd start exploring movable shapes - begin with the E and A families

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote