Clear all

Four (or is it 5) fret stretch?

23 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for encouragement more than answers, though suggestions will certainly be welcome.

I'd like to know how many people had problems with a 5 fret stretch, as shown below, when first starting out, but then mastered it. I'd especially like to hear from other 45 plus year old beginners whose hands may be just a bit less flexible than when we were young. I'm able to get it, but getting it cleanly and in time is a bear.
E-----------------
B-----------------
G-----------------
D-----------------
A--5--7--5--7-----
E--3--3--3--3-----

Like I said, I'd appreciate encouragement that others have overcome this challenge, and any suggestions on how to get there without physically grabbing my pinky with my right hand and putting it in place. Thanks

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yes it can be done. I don't make it perfectly every time but most of the time. I keep the neck high and did a lot of stretching exercises by putting my hand flat on a table or a desk or my leg and stretched my fingers. Don't even need the guitar to do it.

Sorry you didn't want advice but I could not help myself.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The closer you can get to a classical hand position the easier it will be. See if you can find an angle that makes the stretch easy.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I didn't think I'd ever do it either. I have relatively small hands and it took time to get the stretch / reach.

Here is a pointer or two (sorry, once I start typing it is hard to stop),

Make sure your thumb is behind the neck (not over the neck) and opposite your middle finger. When I started my thumb would be opposite my index finger. This reduces the distance the pinky can travel. Trust me, it's the truth.

Stretching exercise (learned this playing the piano). With your hand spread out on a table top place your thumb and pinky on the edge so that your other 3 fingers on on the table top. Gently push your hand so your thumb and pinky stretch along the edge of the table. Almost like push-ups for your hand.

Don't start on the 3rd fret, start on the 8th. Towards the body of the guitar the frets are closer together.

As this feels comfortable and your pinky builds strength and reach move down a fret to 7, within a day or two you'll be where you want to be.

You'll get it,
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

If all else fails, play the 2nd fret of G instead.

But keep working at the stretch, and you'll get it. And yeah, starting higher up is a great idea.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I just checked, 5 is no problem, 6 I can get if I focus, 7 is a stretch but possible, 8 is out of the question.

Practice grasshopper. Ease into it, don't stretch.

By the way, that's starting at the third fret. At twelve I can cover 9.
:shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have trouble fretting three frets up on a barre.

(But I've got a slide on my pinky.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I just checked, 5 is no problem, 6 I can get if I focus, 7 is a stretch but possible, 8 is out of the question.

Practice grasshopper. Ease into it, don't stretch.

By the way, that's starting at the third fret. At twelve I can cover 9.
:shock:

Show off :lol: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hah, if only you got paid for that.

For my next number I'm going to play two notes 7 frets apart.

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For my next number I'm going to play two notes 7 frets apart.

I can do that - I just have to use both hands and pluck the strings with my teeth.

Seriously, thanks everyone for the encouragment AND the advice. I've been doing my hand "push-ups" already. We'll see how it goes.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

So can I - index finger on the 5th fret of the low E and my middle finger on the 7th fret of the A string ;)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I can lick my eyebrows! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I can lick my eyebrows! 8)

Now THAT's impressive!
lol

Good to see you're doing your streching sly, I would also recommend strecthing your wrist allot as well, having flexibility in there is very helpful, especially if you start doing it early in your guitar playing life. I have rather big mitts for hands that you'd think would make it very easy to reach these kind of streches, however this was not the case when I first started playing. They were big, clumsy, and didnt like to move like that :) I did these same streches and now I can easily do a 7 fret stretch most of the time, allot of guitar playing is also equivalent to the excercises, so just try to practice it on the guitar, you only do these when you cant get ahold of one.

Good Luck!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Just keep pluggin' away at it. It gets slowly better and better. Until then, enjoy the cramps. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mike didn't mention that his eyebrows hang down 6 inches. :wink:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2