Clear all

Fretboard Logic SE

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for some input on a book I got for Christmas. Its called Fretboard Logic SE (special edition, volumes I &II combined) I've read most of it already and it seems to me that its geared toward barre chords on an electric. I'm interested in acoustic (todays country) and find barre chords EXTREMELY difficult to play. My guitar is a Guild DCE3 and I would think its set up right . (tips on playing barre chords would be welcomed) So I'm lookin for some opinions on this book , if its not going to benefit me I'm not going to further confuse my self with material that wont help me. Thanks

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Start with bar chords down around the 5th fret or so. I just played I-IV-V progressions (major and minor) for months, maybe 15 minutes a day at first ('til my hands got tired) until the hand strength built up. After a while you find that your not squeezing so much as laying your finger across the bar and that your spending more effort putting the other fingers in place. That's a good sign.
Also, I got the F mini-bar first, and used that for G and A, etc. bars down the neck. This seemed to build strength a couple strings at a time and train my index finger to roll a bit to get good even pressure.

I play electric, but I think everyone uses bar's. Otherwise, good luck with that Bm. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input, I'll give it a try.

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Sloth, can you suggest the chords you used and how to finger them. I"m a beginner and dont have a lot of knowledge so the easier the better, thanks, :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Nothing really specific, but something like A (made with an E shaped bar at the 5th fret, that's the index finger across the 5th fret and then the middle on the 6th fret of the 3rd string, the ring finger on the 7th fret of the 4th string, and the pinky on the 7th fret of the 5th string; like an A power chord with the entire 5th fret covered and the added 3rd string), D (as an A shaped bar at the 5th fret; you can probably figure this one out, I use the index across the highest 5 strings, muting the 6th with the finger tip, and the ring finger as a mini-bar on the 7th, but you need to find a fingering that works for you), and E (as an A shaped bar at the 7th fret).

You can move these around in different orders with different strumming patterns to keep it interesting and practice changes and strumming at the same time as working on the bar.
You'll probably here bits of familiar songs jump at you now and then. And this is a very useful set of bars to get started on 12-bar blues (especially if you change them to E7 and A7 shaped bars). They also work in minor shaped bars.
You don't have to stick to just I-IV-V progressions either, try ii's and vi's and VII's in different combinations with I.IV,and/or V.
Next thing you know you'll have written a half dozen songs.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey Paint,

If you are a beginner, I would hang that book up for a bit. Get the open chords down, get the barre chords comfy, then go back and have a look.

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Sloth, I'll give em a try, (slowly with patience rite). I'm gonna take your advice Nick, that book was REALLY frustrating me, thanks

ReplyQuote