Getting people to Jam with?

33 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello All,

I'm looking at trying to find a couple of people to Jam with, i see bands advertising all the time on boards when i go for my lessons, but i'm noway ready to join a band, i've been playing for about 6 months and made the mistake of not learning all full Songs, i know a number of songs but mostly parts, riffs of others etc, i know most chords and if i have a song to play i can gety through it, How can i do a write up? i don't want to put "Looking People to Jam with but i've only been playing for 6 months". It's mainly to bring me along quicker as lots of people have put play with others asap.. 8)

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

craigslist works for some.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

How about "Looking for people to jam with - all skill levels welcome". You might end up with a fun mix of folks. Or you could ask your teacher to put you in touch with some like minded students.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

craigslist works for some.

Craiglist?

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How about "Looking for people to jam with - all skill levels welcome". You might end up with a fun mix of folks. Or you could ask your teacher to put you in touch with some like minded students.

Denny

Good call Denny i'm going to ask him.. :D

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sorry, i assumed everyone knew about it.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html
it's how i've met several local people i've jammed with. just be clear about what you're looking for and give it a shot.
also, posting notices in music stores and librarys works well too.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

mark,

It can be difficult at times to find people to jam with. I've been playing for a few years now and it's still difficult although I think I finally have a regular group.

When I first started playing I was living in another state so I didn't know anyone. I ended up just putting a piece of paper up where I took lessons. I ended up meeting a guy who was actually taking his kids there for lessons and we ended up jamming for awhile and then I met 97reb and smokingdog, from this site, while I was there. Never got all 4 of us together but it was fun. I feel sorry for 97reb and smokingdog having to put up with my lame playing.

I'm still lame but not as much.

When I moved backed to CT I started jamming with some guys from work, they had a regular Friday night thing going on, but after awhile I got bored with the music they were playing and the fact they really were acoustic at the time and I wanted to play loud rock n roll.

I ended up jamming with Wes Inman from this site, which was kind of the start of where I am now. We had a bunch of different people come in and out over the past year and now we have 4 regulars. Wes unfortunately works now, is in a band, and probably doesn't want to jam with hackers like me too much...and I don't blame him.

So we now play every Friday and it's more like a practice than a jam as we have a list of songs we go through each week. The only problem for me is that we are kinda slow at bringing new material into the mix.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not always an easy thing to find someone to jam with. Found this site a little while back...Band Mix.

I'm in the same boat as you. Cept, it would have to be something like...."looking for middle aged person who is into everything that I like, can turn me on to bands I've never heard, is available when I am, is not a knucklehead, is sometimes better at the guitar than I but sometimes not, can't sing but tries too (just like me), states that he/she does not want to play in a band but has secret desires to rule the grey haired rock n roll community by playing local bars on a "not so often basis".

Sound doable?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Blue,

You can join my group you'd fit right in if you want to drive up to CT

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Cept, it would have to be something like...."looking for middle aged person who is into everything that I like, can turn me on to bands I've never heard, is available when I am, is not a knucklehead, is sometimes better at the guitar than I but sometimes not, can't sing but tries too (just like me), states that he/she does not want to play in a band but has secret desires to rule the grey haired rock n roll community by playing local bars on a "not so often basis".

Sound doable?

Blueline nails it. :mrgreen:

The tough part is that we're all looking for the impossible playing partner - somebody who is infinitely patient, talented and flexible, yet able to see the 'inner star' shining within our own meagre efforts, and therefore willing to do whatever we ask them to....

There are heaps of places where you can get in touch with other players in your neighbourhood - music shops, or anywhere that sells music related products, places that give lessons, and even the community notice boards in supermarkets, libraries etc. Just print a picture of your gear, some guff about your outrageous ambitions, add a fringe of tear off strips with your phone or email on, and then pin it over the top of somebody's 'Top price wanted for clapped out car' , 'Unreliable tenant wants good house to rent cheap' or 'Loving home wanted for unpredictable senile flatulent dog' notice.

The trouble is, you've got no control over who you get. They'll mostly turn out to be either much better that you, and complete control freaks into the bargain, or - even worse - just as bad as you are, and unbelievably hard to get rid of once they've latched onto you.

What has worked for me is to hang around the local music shop, sounding interested and more capable than I really am, whilst secretly checking out all the other similar hopefuls who trudge through the door and finger the goodies. You may have to buy a pick now and then, to stop them throwing you out, but eventually you'll spot a likely mark. I now play every week in public, with three friends all of whom I met like that. We went from a duo to a trio to a quartet in afew weeks, and I've since met a number of others who I could play with too. Don't be too fussy about who you pick, be prepared to try other people's ideas and suggestions, form a pact to praise each other's stumbling efforts, and you'll be rocking in no time. :D

Good luck.

Chris

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

One more thought I'm not sure how old you are but I think it gets more difficult the older you get.

And Chris C hit it on the head if you post at random stores etc., you never know who you're gonna end up with.

Although I've heard this a million times about how experienced guitar players are so willing to help out beginners etc., it ain't reality. Sure there are a few, Wes here is one but for the most part it's like anything else, if someone is extremely good they don't for the most part want to hack around with a begginner. Sure they may to it when they have nothing better to do that's about it.

I've played a lot of sports in my years and it's the same way there. Just think about when you were in gym class and they had to pick teams for a basketball game or a soccer game..do you think they pick the guys that can't play first no. It's the same with guitar, I really think the best thing is to find people around your level of ability maybe a little better maybe a little worse, but not at the extreme's. The real good ones won't stick around long and the ones that stink you won't want to stick around.

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok posted an ad on "Join my band"website, i've been honest about my skill level and what i'm after, see what happens, i'll keep you posted..Still gonna ask my Guitar teacher if he can point anyone out. :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think that's the best way to ask your teacher, he should have a pretty good idea what level his students are at and can hook you up with similar types.

Keep it up, like anything else it takes work to find the right people...sometimes more than you'd imagine

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well posting the ad sort of worked, Got a response from a fella who live about 15mins drive away, cool i thought, until, He's been playing for 15yrs and looking to get a band together, i had to be honest and tell him i'm only a beginner, which was in the advert, and am looking to just Jam at the moment to get used to it, Join a band when i've got a bit more experience.. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Not always an easy thing to find someone to jam with. Found this site a little while back...Band Mix.

Sound doable?

Fits me to a T, too bad it would be a 850 mile commute to jam.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3