Skip to content
Got another guitar ...

Notifications
Clear all

Got another guitar but strings are buzzing...

26 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

After adding 3 shims of business card, it's much better.
Still the 5th string still buzzes when pressed on 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets.
Other strings are okay. May be time for new saddle and strings... :?:
I would check that neck out well. Something is not right if you had to shim it up that much, and its still buzzing. As rparker said you need to set down and get some baseline stats done wiht it. Check the neck. Not only for bow, but for twist. I have the same guitar and the neck has a slight twist in it. So nomatter what I can never get the action perfect. It was free.... so it works till I can swing a new one... Once all aspects are sorted out.... then you know where the problem parts are.... and you can get a better idea what mods are needed.

As for strings.... Ya, if it still has the strings it came with.... OH YA you will need new ones!!! the OE ones are pretty bad!!! I did not read the link posted yet, but when you get into setting up the guitar, thats one thing you always do. Change the strings.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for comment s1120.
Neck does not seem twisted.
When I press 12th or 14th fret, there is no gap between the string and fret in the neck.
There's supposed to be small gap.
The neck needs to be little bit concave for that.
I turned the truss rod to left little more.
Let's see what it does in a day or two once it settles...
I'll get some heavy strings to put more pressure on the neck.
If that doesn't work, I'll sell it to get back my purchase price.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Don't under estimate the value of knowing exactly where you are in comparison to the specs. The tools are cheap, easy to use and should be in anyone's tool kit if they intend to do truss rod adjustments. Obvious exception being people who have done it for years and can do it by sight.

One other option, just in case you cannot get it to you satisfaction, is to raise the strings a bunch, tune it to an open tuning and learn some acoustic slide guitar. Cats and dogs will hate you for a while, but onece you get the touch, it'll be fine. Oh, you can undo your shimming and sell it like you suggested. Kind of hard to pass up a free opportunity to try out some slide if you like that sort of thing.

One question: Have you looked down the neck from both directions? Sometimes twists are really obvious. I had a guitar that was really obvious when I was just beginning, but I didn't know at the time what to look for. I do now. :lol: Just be careful to not let an optical illusion fool you, like the nut or saddle heights making you think the neck is crooked.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

rparker,
Thanks for comment.
yes I did look left/right, from up and from down, the neck looks straight.
Slow jamming is okay and open fret is fine as well.
But when pressing on 2-4 frets, little more pick on 5th string buzzes.

What kind of strings are recommended?
I searched and some mentioned Martin FX and some mentioned D'addarios.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

rparker,
Thanks for comment.
yes I did look left/right, from up and from down, the neck looks straight.
Slow jamming is okay and open fret is fine as well.
But when pressing on 2-4 frets, little more pick on 5th string buzzes.

You should NEVER make adjustments until you have fresh strings on. 90% of the time, the only problem is dead strings. Trying to adjust a guitar with dead strings is like herding cats. No matter what you do, the results are totally unpredictable.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You can't go wrong with either. Eventually you'll find a favorite. For now, I think a $5 set of d'adds will do just fine.
You should NEVER make adjustments until you have fresh strings on. 90% of the time, the only problem is dead strings. Trying to adjust a guitar with dead strings is like herding cats. No matter what you do, the results are totally unpredictable.
Good point. One I overlooked and/or understated.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Just out of curiosity, are your frets even?? I've had a problem where one fret was a bit higher so on a certain fret some of the strings buzzed. The fret had to be filed down a little.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Joe,
I'll check if the frets are okay.
BTW, I went to GC today and got Ernie Ball strings for $6.
I played a FG700s in the store and it sounds perfect, no buzzing.
I noticed that the neck is slightly concave in that guitar.
My guitar's neck seems straight.
I'll play with the truss rod little more and see how it goes.
Thanks for suggestions and comments. :)

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Joe,
I'll check if the frets are okay.
BTW, I went to GC today and got Ernie Ball strings for $6.
I played a FG700s in the store and it sounds perfect, no buzzing.
I noticed that the neck is slightly concave in that guitar.
My guitar's neck seems straight.
I'll play with the truss rod little more and see how it goes.
Thanks for suggestions and comments. :)
A streightedge will tell you for sure if its streight. Its tough for the eye to pick out if its level, becouse you also have the strings on there that go in a slighty diferent angle, and it tricks the eye. Slap a streight edge on the frets and a light behind it, and you can realy eyeball how level the neck is, and also if you have a high, or low fret.

Ditto on the strings.... I got a few sets of cheappy off brand strings, and have a set on my accustic right now. they are JUNK!!! I was praticing and was getting PO'ed that I just could not fret a clean note on one string... well turns out its not me. [well it is... just not ALL me :D] the string itself wile in tune...just had no ring to it. Im not a real skilled player..Ive been playing about 3 years, and with two young kids, and fill time work, and a house to maintane...well lets just say I cant put in the time I want to on the guitar. Well i have heard talk of dead strings over the years, but this is the first time ive had one.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@mystery)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I changed the strings but that 5th string was still buzzing little bit in some frets.
I sold the guitar and got my money back.
I'm good with F335 for now. :)
Thanks for all suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@trump)

I joined the site just for this topic. Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead. But wanted to revisit the topic if possible.

I think this issue is a characteristic of the yamaha FG series. I have had two FG700S guitars, my friend has a FG730S, and I have an instructor with a FGX700SC. Every single one buzzes the same. All guitars have had professional set-ups. Each one uses different strings. Each one uses different bridge pins. One of them has a bone nut. One has a different saddle. All of them still make the noise at the same string and frets.

They all buzz on the 4th and 5th strings in the range of Frets 2-5. It seems most notable at fret 3. We have seemed to isolate the buzzing at the bridge or in the body just below and slightly behind the bridge. Pressing there seems to stop.

The weird thing is that out of the three one of my FG700S' did not make the sound until just recently. Absolutely nothing changed, just started doing it one day a couple weeks ago. Very weird.

It is a tinny metallic buzz that is unique unlike fret buzz. It is extremely annoying. Sometimes it will actually do it when an F is played elsewhere on the guitars. It seems like some weird vibration is resulting from the frequency of the F note and in close proximities to it.

I intend to dedicate myself to tracking down the issue over the next couple days, unless somebody knows the issue before I invest my time. If I can't find it, it might be time to look for another to replace it.

Anybody else have any input?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2