Guitar Lessons

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,
I'm a college student and I'm looking for guitar lessons (real ones, not online!) in the Chicagoland area. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good teacher? I know this isn't exactly the place to search for such a thing, but I figured these forums would have a lot of collective experience with teachers!

Best,
BK

(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure if this is any help, but what I did is go into the local music shop and ask them. Of course, there is a possibility that they may have a deal going with a teacher (send me students and I'll send them to your shop kind of thing) but I would have thought any reccomendation would have to have reasonable grounds otherwise it doesn't look good for the shop.

Hope this helps. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Did you have any luck with this method? Find a good teacher?

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I'm still with the same teacher 7 months on. :lol:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

there's a person here, calls hisself NoteBoat. I believe he's in the Chicago area and he gives lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

+1 for Noteboat.
If I lived anywhere near the Chicago area, he'd be my choice for a teacher.
One of the finest GN posters ever, imho.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

+1 for Noteboat.

One of the finest GN posters ever, imho.
:)
Well put. I'd jump all over the opportunity too.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm flattered, folks! :)

But I'm also pretty full up, with a growing waiting list.

Depending on where you are, and what you want to study, there are other great teachers here. Tom Hess (who has a number of lessons here on GN) is in the NW suburbs. In the city, there are a couple of stellar jazz teachers: Jack Cecchini and Frank Rumoro are among the best you'll find anywhere. There's also the Bloom school of jazz, and if you're into bluegrass or folk styles, there's the Old Town School of Folk Music.

Several of the universities have guitar programs too - try DePaul or Northwestern for classical guitar, or Roosevelt for jazz/plectrum.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Noteboat-Thanks for the response. I'm looking for someone who can teach rock/theory/maybe some jazz, thought that wouldn't be my primary interest. Are the jazz guys you mentioned people I should try out, if I'm not all that interested in jazz? If not, then do you have any other recommendations. You've been really helpful already, so thanks! I know of Tom Hess, but both he and the person he recommended to me by email are both too far from where I live. I go to the University of Chicago, which is on the southside...

Yashicamat-Are you in the Cicago area? I forget. If so, whats your teachers name?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Well, all of them are a fair distance from you - downtown or north of there. Since you're in Hyde Park, you might try asking for a recommendation at the U of C - they don't have a guitar program in their music school, but they do have a music school - and music teachers tend to know music teachers in their area... I can probably give you 20 names of guitar teachers within 10 miles of me (some I'd recommend, some I wouldn't) - but since you're about 30 miles from me that doesn't help much.

I haven't spent much time in your neighborhood since the early 80s - is the Blue Gargoyle still there?

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Downtown, like the loop area would be easy for me to get to. I have a car, and its a quick drive. If you know of anyone that you are confident in, in that area or even a bit north, that would be great! I've thought about going through the university but I haven't followed throught yet.

Is the Blue Gargoyle a restaurant or something else? It doesn't ring a bell. Hyde Park is an evolving place though. My mom went to the U of C in the 60's when the local barbecue joint was a gang headquarters and students were sniped from windows at random! "Times they are a-changin' " as someone said once.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Downtown I'd check out the Bloom School of Jazz (I know one guy who studied there) or Roosevelt University (I know several good guitarists who went there).

Blue Gargoyle was the pub where students hung out - I think it was on 63rd Street. Back in the 70s my best friend was going to school at the U of C. Today he's a multi-millionaire... and I'm not. Just goes to show what a good education is worth :)

ReplyQuote