Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Principles - Jamie Andreas

43 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Who knew? It's a lucky thing that Jamie is an ambiguously gendered name.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Who knew? It's a lucky thing that Jamie is an ambiguously gendered name.

I'm guessing the person in question was born James, and the Jamie was a childhood nickname that the person never cast off or an intentional step towards femeninity.

Either way, that's some crazy poo.

And no, I can't imagine that would do much in terms of his/her career.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

[quote="What, you mean the average person doesn't talk about giving and receiving spiritual orgasms?

Uhhh.... can I have one? Does it cost allot?

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@fredjohn)

I have been receiving Jamie As newseltters for a long time, and I finally decided ot get the book.

In checking him out on this forum, most of the talk seems to be about his sex change, rather than his Principles of Guitar.

In the end however, I have decided to go ahead and buy the book anyway, and also the 5 days course by another currently promoted on this site.

Cant do any harm and i might learn somehting

Fredjohn

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Where is this "she" stuff coming from?
Here is the article on Jamie's site in reference to the "she"
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/announcement.htm
[/url]

Thanks for that! :D

That's cleared up a mystery.

A couple of weeks back I started seeing articles referring to Jamie as "she", when I'd always thought he was a man.

"Whoops!" I thought "My bad! Probably a sexist assumption on my part that a bloke wrote the books. I'd also seen pics on the site of some guy holding a guitar and assumed it was the writer, when it could easily have been a student.

I actually went back and edited the posts where I'd called her "him"! (Obsessive or what!! :D ) and added a wry joke in a couple about my mistaken assumption.

I did wonder about a sex change though. I thought "gee, I'm sure I've seen her referred as "him" in other reviews.." :?

I haven't got the book, but I've found his/her site useful at times. A tad too heavy on the personal philosophising and surplus waffle for my taste (But, hey, who am I to talk. :oops: ). The basic info was useful to me anyway.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

funny - I thought Jamie was a guy.
Jamie's always been a girl, but i dont agree with all her stuff. At least not the free stuff i read.

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I'm glad I found this thread because I've been confused by the he/she thing too.

Anyway, regarding her methods, I haven't purchased the Priciples, but I've read her essays. I've found some usefulness when it comes to watching for tension. Just recently I was working on What's Your Name by Lynyrd Skynyrd and during the intro I'd start out fine, but by the end my fretting hand was stiff as a board. I remembered Jamie's essay on finding the tension and her mention of no-tempo practice and they really helped. I'm not a disciple, but I do believe there is value in some of what she teaches.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

funny - I thought Jamie was a guy.
Jamie's always been a girl, but i dont agree with all her stuff. At least not the free stuff i read.

So, who's the guy with the Perm on Jamie's website?

I hope you don't agree with everything you read, dude - your life could become chaotic. there are things Jamie says that I don't agree with too, but it's normal and healthy to have your own opinions of things.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i guess this whole discussion is going from guitar to gender.How does it matter jamie is m or f.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

i guess this whole discussion is going from guitar to gender.How does it matter jamie is m or f.

It matters not whether they are male of female, BUT it does help with author identification. I have his DVD and have learnt a little but it's not really my cup of tea. Nevertheless, when I found some articles here on Guitarnoise written by a Jamie Andreas I checked the bio to see if it was the same guy who had done the DVD. When I saw in the bio that Jamie was a she I was a little confused. I thought this was either a typo or a different guitarist altogether.

Upon reading a couple of the articles I realised that it then must've been a typo, else it was a husband and wife team. :?

Anyhoo, now I know they're one in the same and so now I know I am reading material from the same author. I'm therefore not going over articles with content I have already covered, thinking I am reading a point of view from a different author. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Remember, it is a development and takes time.

He---> He-she---> She-he---> She.

Probably a tasteless joke. It's his life, he can do whatever he wants.

I do not like any guitar method that injects a person's personal religious philosophy into their teaching.

For instance, I am a Christian. If someone tried to tell me I must practice Zin to be a good guitar player, I would be greatly offended. My personal beliefs would not allow me to practice these types of techniques.

Teach people how to play guitar. If you want to introduce them to your religion, invite them to church.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

.How does it matter jamie is m or f.

I guess that people are just naturally interested in keeping abreast of his development. :wink:

(Sorry, never could resist an opportunity for a bad pun... :oops: )

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If someone tried to tell me I must practice Zin to be a good guitar player, I would be greatly offended.
I believe it's called “Zen”, and Zen is a "state of mind". Being “focused” if you will.

Just like you get in a groove and play a nasty lead, but you might call it something different.

I'm of my own belief, but there is common ground to what we call things we all believe in.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3