Skip to content
Guitar vs Bass (the...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar vs Bass (the seemingly lifelong question)

28 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

However I have been led to believe that a bass is somewhat limited as compared to a guitar by my acoustic/electric guitar playing friend.

Go listen to this and this then re-read your friends' words. :wink:

Better yet, have your friend listen to those clips.

EDIT:
I just re-read the thread, and noticed that Jhengsman had already made the point I was goin' for.
Oh, well. Here's to "piling on"

And another clip

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

However I have been led to believe that a bass is somewhat limited as compared to a guitar by my acoustic/electric guitar playing friend.

EDIT:
I just re-read the thread, and noticed that Jhengsman had already made the point I was goin' for.

And another clip

(Indy's jaw bouncing off the floor) WOW-beauty. 'Cause it's a bass guitar, not just a "bass." It's all in how you use it.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

That is really amazing stuff! I just hope I can become a fraction of the musician as Mr. Wooten.

P.S. Going to visit a few music stores tomarrow morning, I'll be sure to post an update on what I come home with :D Very excited for the trip! Still haven't decided for sure between acoustic/electric and electric.. Hopefully seeing some of the guitars will help me make my decision. And I'm really praying that at least one of the stores will have a Squier '51 for me to look at because I guess I'd rather be able to hold it and look at it before I laid down the cash.

Bruce

PPS: (Haha I wish I could sleep but alas more and more questions keep running through my head) Does anyone know if it would be possible to equip a Squier '51 with a wammy bar? Would a music shop be able to hook it up for me? Just curiosity mostly, a wammy bar is for sure one of the more fun toys on an electric! ;) Thanks :D

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Someone who knows more than I will chime in soon, but I believe a whammy bar requires a different type of bridge than a '51 has--specifically a bridge that can raise up some, as that's what the whammy bar does, to bend all the strings simultaneously.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

A non-floyd rose could just be bolted on, but a floyd-rose would need a huge great hole drilled/routed all the way through the body (not that it can't be done, but it's a bit more drastic).

A fixed bridge and your typical non-floyd rose whammy consist of just the bit you can see bolted onto the front of the guitar, whereas there's a lot more bulk to a floyd-rose and most of it is actually inside the guitar body - you only see the top.

(A rough generalisation, but hey :))

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

EDIT:

And another clip

I post from my phone so I can't hear the links. I suppose its Victor Wooten by the comments. To watch a master at work I would reccomend renting Making Music with Carter Beauford and Victor Wooten. Netflix carries it.

Bela Fleck is there with his banjo but it concentrates on the bass and drums working together as they recorded Wooten's Yin Yang album.

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I took my trips to music stores around the area and talked to many workers there, talked it over with my friends, and mulled it over in my head for a while. Well, I ended up walking out of the store with a Fender DG-85 acoustic much to my surprise. I decided that the convienience of not having to lug around an amp and all the rest of the gear outweighed the coolness factor of an electric. I am really happy with it so far, it seems to have a really nice sound and it got a lot of good reviews on gutarfriend. And I still may be able to get the electric due to a mix up with an xmas gift haha. So we will have to see. I have been playing every night for the past week or so and have learned a few chords, currently its about the only thing I can think about is advancing my guitar knowledge haha. Well just figured I'd let everyone know how it turned out.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Is that the DG-8S player pack? Nice looking instrument!

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yep sure is, I thought it was a nice looking guitar. I liked the look and the sound so I went for it :)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Got a link to a picture?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

That picture was taken about five minutes ago on my cell phone camera, hence the low quality pic, but you get the idea haha.. It is resting next to my roommates' Ovation Balladeer. Pleasantly I was very surprised to realize that after playing my $200 guitar for a few days I am liking it more than my friends much more expensive Ovation. Maybe its just the smaller gauge of strings on mine, but whatever it is I'm glad I got what I did.

So far I've learned the chords C, Cadd9, Em, G, D, and Em7. I feel like I'm making good progress and have been averaging at least one hour a day of practice for the last week. Hopefully I can keep it up! So far my favorite lick to play is a part in Dust in the Wind by Kansas, just a really neat riff.. Horse with No Name by America, the #1 easy song according to this site is extrordinarily easy except for the palm muting which I cannot for the love of me seem to do correctly twice in a row, or once in five tries for that matter sometimes. Any tips? Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson is also proving to be a worthy enemy and is being difficult. But I haven't gotten too down on myself because I think I'm probly moving from song to song too quickly, but if I can continue to work on these few songs every day hopefully one day I'll be able to do them great. Does this sound like a good method to expand my guitar skills/knowledge? I read somewhere that I should be writing this stuff down and this seems like a good place to do it haha..

Thanks! Bruce.

P.S. - Pull Off's and Hammer On's are really cool/fun!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hammer ons and pull offs already. I still can't get those consistantly after 2 years.

I suppose you needed the Cadd9 for a specific song. Its not what one usually considers a beginners chord voicing

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well there is really nothing consistant about them, they are just really cool when they do work haha. Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson features them in the main riff so I just like to play with them because they sound cool.

And about Cadd9 yeah, Good Riddance by Green Day calls for a Cadd9 and a G9 that I forgot to say which is why I learned that chord.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2