Notifications
Clear all

Hand and Fingers

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@doug-reid)
Topic starter  

I just bought my first guitar (acoustic) a week ago and I'm finding it very difficult to maintain a good left hand position. No matter how hard I try my fingers seem to be getting in the way of each other and the strings not associated to the chord shape I'm trying to make.

I know it's early days yet but do you think it would be better to try and find some sort of exercise for the fingers or should I keep trying to master some chords first.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hello and Welcome,
I would say both.
Keep plugging away at the chords and work on some execrises.
A good one to start with is just play a chromatic scale.
assign 1 finger to each fret and play your way across the strings and back hitting every fret.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Nothing at all unusual in what you describe. Sounds like practice will do the most good.

Enjoy the new guitar!

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I did the same a few months back. Like was mentioned the chromatic scale. My instructor gave me that on the 1st night 3 weeks ago. In case you are like I was and not know the scale.
open - 12 fret on each string, hitting every fret on the way down and then back up, then move over a string and repeat.
0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 - next string

Welcome to the forum

John M

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

nothing more to add here

just that 300 m has it right try it , practise it religiously ( or even more often than that ) your fingers soon learn where to go on the strings .

keep practising and yes the fingers will hurt until your fingers toughen up but don't pick your finger tips when they become hard this is actually good for playing .

oh yes welcome to music

cheers
L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote