Skip to content
Having trouble lear...

Notifications
Clear all

Having trouble learning Basket Case (Green Day)...

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@globetro)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So, overall, the song seems pretty easy... just power chords really. However, the palm muting pattern seems totally wacked out. It's like controlled-randomness. What's the best way to approach learning that? I tried memorizing the palm-mute pattern from the tabs, but it's just way too hard to remember all of it... I've also tried just doing my own random palm muting pattern, but it just doesn't sound quite right.

Is this one of those instances where you just go by "feel"? Or do you simplify it down to perhaps 2-3 different palm-muting patterns and stick with that?

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I use feel when playing that. IMO thats the only way to go, it will make it your own as well.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

The song uses 6 basic open chords. I would pay more attention to the picking pattern than the muting at first. Billy Joe uses a specific picking pattern and strumming pattern for this song. Muting the strings will come with practice. Here's the chords for the song.
G5 Csus2 D5 Em D G

E|----3------3------O------O------3------3-----------------------
B|----3------3------3------O------2------3-----------------------
G|----O------O------2------O------3------O-----------------------
D|----O------O------O------2------O------O-----------------------
A|----X------3------X------2------X------2-----------------------
E|----3------X------X------O----- X------3-----------------------

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ummmm ... isn't that one "Good Riddence - Time of Your Life"? Basket Case is ...... Do you have the time ..... to listen to me whine? ......

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Do you have the time ..... to listen to me whine? ......

I have been whining lately.. :lol:

I play this song a lot as I play a lot of other Green Day songs. Imagine singing along to the palm mute...

You are right, it is definitely hard in the beginning and not so easy as it seems from the music video. Only suggestion I can give is to play along the song or while watching the music video. It will slowly come in time.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Ummmm ... isn't that one "Good Riddence - Time of Your Life"? Basket Case is ...... Do you have the time ..... to listen to me whine? ......
:oops: You are correct sir. My appologies! See what happens when you don't get any sleep? I have to laugh at myself. There I thought I was helping out by listing the chords....DUH.... :oops: Oh well, the right intention was there.

Does anyone know where I can find a good foot removal doctor?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gmarshall)

This video is pretty good for learning basket case. It's in 2 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqZ4bioxDc

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

My advice is learn it as slow as you can, where you have perfect control over playing it without any mistakes. The slower you learn it the better it will program into your muscle memory, improved tone as you gradually get faster it will still be clean. Work a few bars at a time until they are easy to do perfectly, then ass on a few more, until you can play the whole song cleanly, slowly and perfect.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote