Clear all

Help for using the fingerboard

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey, Can anybody plz help me with the fingerboard. I couldnt find anything abt using the fingers for playing the natural notes, sharp and flat notes. Which fingers must be used for each fret. IF there's any link for tat page, plz add in ur relpy. Thanx in advance

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

As far as I know there is no "rule" saying which fingers are for which type (flat, sharp etc) of note along the fretboard. It is more a matter of comfort and speed.

There is a simple "guideline" that says if you are playing 4 notes in a row on say frets 5, 6, 7, and 8 you should more than likely use your index on 5, middle on 6, ring on 7, and pinkie on 8. This is also true for as far as your fingers can stretch between say 5 and 10 where 5 would be the index and 10 could be the pinkie.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Each fret is a half step. So on the E string the progression is:

Open: E
1st Fret: F
2nd Fret: F#/Gb
3rd Fret: G
4th Fret: G#/Ab
etc.

Which finger you use is dependent on what "postition" you are playing in and what your other fingers are doing.

"Position" is what fret your "starting" at.

In general, the first finger plays the fret at the position you are at, so in 5th position the 1st finger would play the 5th fret.

Now, also in general, either the first or the fourth finger plays two frets. If you want to play 2 frets with your first finger, then it would also play notes on the 6th fret, otherwise the 2nd finger would play notes on the 6th fret.

Again, if 1st finger is covering 2 frets then 7th would be the 2nd finger, else 3rd finger.

If 1st finger is covering 2 frets, then 8th would be 3rd finger, else 4th finger.

and 9th would be the 4th finger.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the help guys. As am a newbie, i need support from u guys. Can u guys help me with the tabulare note of the natural, flat & sharp notes. If any link for it, plz send it to me plz. Thanx

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think you'll find what you want toward the end of the Rosetta Stone lesson. Fretboard 101 also lists out the tab -- you might want to start here.
And there's always the Fretboard map:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I would add the "One finger per fret" rule type of thing.

Use your first finger on the first fret, 2nd on the 2nd, 3rd on the 3rd and 4th on the 4th, and then the position changes come at the 5th fret (1st finger) and the 9th fret (1st finger again). It really helps when you're playing lead.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanxs guys for the help. Can u just help me with the notations. All I have is the notations for the natural note. So can u give me the notations for sharp and flat and some beginners songs in natural notation. and also with natural, flat and sharp notations.

Which way is to study better, with tabulare or notations. I have no idea abt this, Plz help me.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It depends on your goals.

If you want an easy road to being able to play a number of popular, common guitar pieces, then tab really might be the way to go.

If you want to be a musician, then you must learn to read standard notation.

It is the harder of the two paths, but it will also take you much further in the end.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@bluebird007)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can u just help me with the notations. All I have is the notations for the natural note. So can u give me the notations for sharp and flat and some beginners songs in natural notation. and also with natural, flat and sharp notations.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi Bluebird,

We have readers from 150 + countries around the globe. Many who post here don't speak English as their first language. We spell out words and try to make things as legible and understandable as possible. Thanks.

By the way, your question has been answered.

Kingpatzer, Nils and Alan gave you the general rule of thumb, one finger per fret, check which fret is lowest and assign the index to that one.

Musenfreund supplied the fretboard map.

If you need more info, maybe you could rephrase the question.

ReplyQuote
(@folkgreen)

i'm not connected to this company in any way, but, you can go to http://www.dontfret.com

you can order a clear plastic piece that easily fits on your fretboard and has all the chords/shapes (in color), etc.

i saw the inventor of this device on a talk show recently.

hope this helps :)

ReplyQuote