Clear all

playing in position high on the neck

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I find that when I play a scale pattern/box pattern up high on the neck, fingering gets much more difficult because the frets are so close together. At the very highest frets, I must squeeze my fingers together so that they fit (if you know what I mean).

So what's the proper/accepted way to deal with this?

-squeeze the fingers together?
-maybe use only three fingers? (like perhaps have finger 3 play both the 3rd
and 4th fret of that position?)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes and yes; both.

Think of being a mandolin player and all those narrow frets, and, maybe for a couple of days, don't play anything below the 12th fret. Make everything below the 12th fret 'off limits', just to get your fingers used to that. Then go back to full neck exercises. Everyone always starts on the low positions (because that's how it's done and most books start you off that way) so there's an imbalance from the very beginning. Spend more time - for a little while - focusing on the high frets, and then come back down to balance things out.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. You're right about beginner's books. I'm on my second one, and both
make little or no mention of the difference/difficulty as you move a pattern up the neck. The exact same pattern will feel totally different to the fingers...not just the spacing, but also the higher string height. It's like I need to re-learn it to play it up high.

Lately I've been doing a major scale exercise 123 234 345 456... in first position, then second, and so on, all the way up the neck. I hate playing "way up there", but I'm sure like anything else, it'll come with time.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Practice is generally the cure all for issue such as yours. Unless you can find a way to shrink your fingers. :shock: :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Somewhat related to this topic, I've heard about a 3-octave (36 fret) electric guitar. I question whether or not such a thing is even playable above around the 24th fret.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I don't even want to know where this thing ends!

If you can play one of those things..........good for you! If I saw "it" (I call it.... "it", because it looks like a hairy beast :shock: ) in a store........ the most I would do is look at it.

ReplyQuote
(@deadhead420)

Holy god tracker how many frets are on that thing?

"Haha Duuude, you said crank... and then, you said shaft..." -The Great Philoshipher Zane.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Somewhat related to this topic, I've heard about a 3-octave (36 fret) electric guitar.

All guitars have three octaves - that's low E to 12th fret 1st string E. 36 frets would give you five full octaves.

I haven't seen one with that many frets - the most I've seen so far is 27. They are made, though - Hamer had a 36 fret called the Virtuoso a few years ago, and a luthier named Jersy Drozd makes 36 fret basses.

Then there are microtonal guitars... a 'sixth tone' guitar has two extra frets between each standard one (dividing a whole step into six equal parts). I've seen photos of one of these puppies that has 84 frets - the equivalent of a 28 fret scale length, plus the extras.

I think if I was heavily into microtonal stuff I'd just go fretless :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Tracker is that your guitar!!! :?

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Heck No!!! Way to many frets for me.

I found that pic on the web, it's a 36 fret 8 string.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

:shock: What kind of maniac needs 8 strings and 36 frets?!!?

Even Steve Vai cut it off at 7!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

yeah, that's why he used triple necked guitars...

you can never have enough! :wink:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote