Clear all

Help! My wrist

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am self-taught, though I have learned to keep my wrists straight from friends when I was a beginner, and I have recently corrected my typing form, but today, as I put down my guitar after about 30 minutes of practice, I felt a sharp pain in my right wrist for about 2 seconds! Should I start taking lessons, or is this not a big deal?

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd say (And most will I believe) take a break from the guitar for a while, maybe a day or two. If the pain continues, see a doctor.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

No worries man, this happened to me before and the only thing that I can suggest you do is to:

1.) take a break.
2.) massage with muscl cream
3.) cut it off (it'll grow back :wink: )

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

takin two days off sounds jsut as painful
I'm gonna be one colicky little punk for awhile :D - :evil:

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Try to play something easy. If it still hurts, THEN take a day or two off.

I'm not saying play through it but, (as I know) sometimes bending/leaning the wrong way causes pain. It's called getting older. And I'm considered YOUNG! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

and I'm only 17, I better start cutting records before I go senile! :D

-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member

I would keep an eye on it. If you get that pain again make as specific a note as possible as to the type and intensity of the pain and what movements you had been making leading up to and immediately causing the pain. Then, make an appointment to see your doctor. Don't let him/her poo-poo it away either.

More than likely its nothing but if it is something you want to nab it early before you have to do something drastic like open it up.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Have you been doing a lot of stretches lately? If you're trying to make long reaches a more vertical neck will help a lot, even if your wrist is perfectly straight already.

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

are you right or left handed :?: an do you practice standing

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

hmmm....he said his right wrist....im guessing he's left handed then....unless he gets aches from strumming....which could happen, i guess....

anyways i suggest that you should always do some sort of exercise before playing....a dozen wrist rotations or so should warm your wrists up before playing....getting aches and pains everynow and then is normal to guitar playing i guess.....but if the pain is just too painful and unbearable...the doctor's your best bet....

ohh and yah u better get started on those records hahaha

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

that's the wierd part, I'm right handed, my picking hand is hurting, and I usually play classical guitar, and it's never hurt from that, since I had a very good tutor when I started, but I play a lot of rhythm strumming, and I'm guessing I'm using my wrist too much

-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Ohh, your picking hand. Discount my previous advice then. Well, don't do that, it's still right, but, you know. I'd recommend using more elbow movement when strumming, yes.

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

yeah more elbow movement would be good for rhythm, try like what billy joe (green day) does in his videos he plays with his whole arm

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

When I started guitar I noticed my wrists hurt when I played. I bought an ergonomic keyboard for work and home so my wrists would be at a better angle when typing (and I type a lot). I also noticed using the mouse with my fretting hand was making my wrist hurt. So I bit the bullet and learned how to mouse right-handed to keep my fretting hand happy.

My fretting wrist would hurt if I put the neck down to far. So far, I've had a few nights with too many beers and dropped my neck about parallel to the ground and playing open G and C. The next day my wrist would hurt quite a bit.

I know you're talking about your strumming hand so I'm not helping much on that. But ask your parents for a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Yea, they might be $50 but tell them it will save you CTS when you get to be 30. I think they might understand.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Don't use your WHOLE arm... Thats a move asociated with punk rocking, because it looks cool...elbow movement should be enough.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2