Notifications
Clear all

Help! My wrist

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I know you're talking about your strumming hand so I'm not helping much on that. But ask your parents for a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Yea, they might be $50 but tell them it will save you CTS when you get to be 30. I think they might understand.

I used one of these for a while, but I eventually decided that it had no benefits over a regular keyboard. I kept using it until the left shift (my favorite key :cry:) went out, since it's not a bad keyboard, but I love my current keyboard much more. The problem was that the MS keyboard had spongy indistinct key action, like almost every keyboard around. I feel that this is very bad for typing, as you don't get the same tactile feedback you would otherwise. My preference is for old-style keyboards with buckling springs in the keys. You get a definite click feel when you press the keys, so you know right where you are. Anyway, I think the best thing for avoiding typing pain is to just keep your darn wrists up. If you rest them on stuff, you're putting them at a funny angle and reducing your mobility. When they're up, you can keep them straight, and, by letting your arms hang freely from your shoulders, you can minimize the movement your wrists have to do.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Paul, seems like we like different things. I don't like the “clicky” keyboards because they make so much noise. I type fairly fast and the sound grates on my ears even though I always have music on while I'm on the computer. I saw some more ergonomic keyboards yesterday at Best Buy. I still like Microsoft's ergo keyboards the best. They now have different models and some keys are moved around.

You're right about resting your palms on the keyboard. Don't do it. Float your hands over it.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

No, the click doesn't bother me much (although it may start to now that you've put the idea in my mind). I don't find noises all that annoying when I'm the one causing them. That darn computer fan bugs the heck out of me, though.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Since I started playing guitar many noises I never noticed before in my home annoy me. I can hear the click of my overhead fan, the air coming out of my A/C vent, and even street noises. I'd guess in 20 years I'll have many more sounds I've never noticed jarring my brain, LOL! :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gaz-uk)
Estimable Member

punk rocking rocks!!!!!!!

"people laugh at me because im different...i pity you..because your all the same"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

When I started guitar I noticed my wrists hurt when I played. I bought an ergonomic keyboard for work and home so my wrists would be at a better angle when typing (and I type a lot). I also noticed using the mouse with my fretting hand was making my wrist hurt. So I bit the bullet and learned how to mouse right-handed to keep my fretting hand happy.

My fretting wrist would hurt if I put the neck down to far. So far, I've had a few nights with too many beers and dropped my neck about parallel to the ground and playing open G and C. The next day my wrist would hurt quite a bit.

I know you're talking about your strumming hand so I'm not helping much on that. But ask your parents for a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Yea, they might be $50 but tell them it will save you CTS when you get to be 30. I think they might understand.

When I read "30" I thought "my god! 30. So young; how can one think of wrist injuries at such as young age". And this is coming from a person who worked in a factory for many years before the age of 30. But, I realize that this is a different world: computers and keyboards....
As guitarists, we should consider ourselves as athletes, and develop good physical technique; recognize our limitations; and allow ourselves time to recouperate. And in this new world, (in which I am typing) the young persons must seriously consider this. I have people my age who I work with who have carpal tunnel; and it is so unfortunate.
Sorry for the long post: Snoogans and all of our young generation: take care of yourself: you are the future of music...

Snoogans, The Mouse is still singing in my head. I am losing sleep....

~ghost~ (1963) :lol:

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's sad for young people to develop CTS or other maladies. All I know is I try to make things as easy as possible but within reason (read: budget). Oh I could go on how I'm playing my barred F and G chords improperly these days. Lately I've been having the neck way lower than I used to and I know I should not play that way. But the beer likely kills the pain because I don't play that way during the day.

I wonder if Jimmy Page hast CTS from playing with his guitar at his knees? If not, it's a miracle, lol!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2