Clear all

help with feedback problems and band equi setup

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@iamdenis)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

today when i played with 2 of my friends ( one on drums and one on guitar) i was randomly getting huge feedback no matter how far away from the amp i stood. When i turned down the gain it would go away, but the it would make a crappy sound. I have a shecter damien FR with EMG pickups and a tube hybrid 50watt marshall amp. Can anyone please tell me how i could reduce this feedback? because my friend was playing at the same volume and he had none.

Also, for a small basement what would the best setup be for 2 amps and a drums set? ( where should we place the amps and where should the 2 players stand)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

First, welcome to GuitarNoise

Well, you seemed to have solved the problem yourself, you have the gain (and most likely the volume) too high. Any amp will feedback if it is cranked too much.

You could try adjusting the EQ on your amp, this might help. An EQ pedal would help to cut frequencies that feedback even better.

Your best bet is keeping volume and gain to a minimum. Many think you have to play at high volume to sound good, but really the opposite is true. And many also believe they must turn gain to max. Try this simple test, record your amp at max gain and then at low gain (1/2 or less) and go back and listen. You may be surprised to hear that lower gain sounds better. Pros rarely use a lot of gain (or not nearly as much as you think).

You could also hang carpets or use egg cartons to soundproof your basement. Hard walls, ceiling and floors highly contribute to feedback.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats good advice. A lot of solid state and tube hybrid amps have way more gain than is really usable at high volume. With a tube amp, poweramp tube distortion kicks in at higher volume levels. Solid state and hybrid amps don't have this so they add more gain to the preamp. Unfortunately when you crank them your guitar becomes the singing sword. I feel this is a contributing factor as to why tube amps seem louder for the amount of watts they put out. You can play them louder without as much feedback.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote