Clear all

High E string

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, the high E string on my electric won't ring out on the second and third threat. It's always done this, but has only started bothering me recently.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks!!

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

One thought maybe that the pickups maybe to high or to low. Check the pickup height. Is the string hitting on anything? How about each end of the string, is anything up against the side of the it. What kind of strings are you using. Sometimes you have pay alittle more to get better strings. The brand and type of string along with how their made can effect how they sound.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think their called crazy ball, super slinky. They came in a pink package. It appears as though the string get's deadened on the third fret when I play it on the second, and on the fourth when I play it on the third. I'm not sure how I would possibly avoid that though.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

Is the height of your third fret even all the way across the neck?

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It appears so. I'm not sure how I could tell exactly.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Put a flat edge on it........... like a ruler.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I might try if only one string is the problem would be to raise just that one at the bridge if the bridge allows for individual string adjustments. Some bridges do and some don't.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

All you need to check for uneven frets is a good straight-edge that covers 3 frets. The straight-edge should not rock when touching 3 frets. If it does, a fret is either too high or too low. Here is an ad for a Luthier's straightedge to show what I am talking about.

Luthier's Straight Edge

It is also possible that your truss rod is too tight causing the neck to be too straight. This will force the headstock down. So your neck is shaped like a frown. :(

This will usually cause fret buzz on frets from 1 to 5. Look down your neck from the headstock toward the body. You should see a very slight upcurve, usually around the 3rd fret.

But as Joe said, first try raising the saddle for the 1st string. Could be the action is just too low.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I might try if only one string is the problem would be to raise just that one at the bridge if the bridge allows for individual string adjustments. Some bridges do and some don't.

Joe

You know, now that I look at it that one strings holder at the bridge is a lot lower then all the other ones. I didn't think to check because it doesn't look like they can be altered.
I'm still not sure how they could be. Any good articles on this?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You didn't say what type of guitar is was. Most bridges have small allen screws to make adjustments. It won't take much to lift it up some. make small adjustments.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Right, sorry. It's a Peavey Raptor Plus.

It's got a slit in the back, and a metal thing with 6 holes. Is that what that's for? I'd hate to start screwing around an mess something up.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I have the same problem, but on the 13th fret of my E string. If you play up the string chromatically you get .....D D# E F# F# G G#..... quite amusing really...

The reason: my 14th fret is not quite level, and I can achieve my F by bending the string fractionally up or down. It must have a slight hump on it which I could presumably file down if I was inclined.

But the folks are right - if you have serious dead frettage you'll probably need an adjustment of the bridge height.

ReplyQuote