Clear all

Slide Interrupted?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

In an article on Mississippi John Hurt in the February 2006 issue of Acoustic Guitar there is an example that has a slide with two notes picked between the first and second notes of the slide.

Could someone try to explain the mechanics of this, please?

The example is the second measure of number 5 on this page.

Thanks.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

OK, here is that piece

Myself, I would fret the 1st note of the 2nd measure (C) on the A string with my ring finger. Iwould fret the 2nd note (D) at the 3rd fret on the B string with my pinky. After plucking the B string I would slide with my pinky up to the E note at the 5th fret. While performing this slide I would place my index finger on the G note at the 3rd fret of the high E string. I would pluck the open D string with my thumb and G note with either my middle or ring finger of my picking hand simutaneously.

It is not as difficult as it appears. The trick is to keep your finger on the B string. That is really just a tied note. That E note is not plucked, it is just carried over from the slide.

Then you would pluck the A string open and the G note on the high E at the same time.

I hope I explained that well.

That is a tricky little piece. :D

You can see that the E note is fretted as well as the G through most of the measure. Then this form is moved down two frets. On the very last note of the 2nd measure, pick up your index and place it on the C note on the B string. You would also place your middle finger on the E note on the D string, and ring finger on the C note on the A string at the same moment. Just a long way of saying grab a C chord. :roll:

I had to edit this. I suggested fingering it differently at first. But now looking at it, this is how I would do it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Wes. I'm working on it...slowly.

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm still working on the first one, but above is the next one.

In the 5th and 7th measures does it make sense that for the first slide the first C (3rd fret on the 6 string) is picked but the slide is not begun until the G (3rd fret on the 1st string) is picked. Or put another way the C is picked before the G, but the two slides happen simultaneously.

Or - though it seems impossible to me - is the second slide picked only after the first slide is in progress?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

JSnood

Wow, this is a pretty difficult piece you are learning. :D

You have to look at the music above, which gives you the time, but is still a little misleading.

I would pluck the C note (on the 5th string, not 6th) and open G string together. It shows those as quarter notes. But, you have to quickly pick the G note on the first string an eighth note value later and quickly slide both the C and G at the same time.

This is the only way I see it can be played, the music is a little misleading. But you should end up on the D note on the 5th string and the A note on the 1st string one quarter note value after plucking the original C and G notes.

I hope I didn't confuse you there.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote