Notifications
Clear all

Strings?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kami2488)
Topic starter  

I just started playing electric guitar about 4 months ago. I need new strings mine are starting to rust and sound like crap! Is there like a standard size they come in? Someone told me to get 10g strings Also what brand should I get?

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i just bought ernie ball super slinky 10s. they're quite nice. i think 10 is standard.

ReplyQuote
(@kami2488)
Topic starter  

I was looking at those to and thanks

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I've just replaced the stock strings that came fitted when I bought my electric guitar with ernie ball super slinkys. It's like playing a completely different guitar. I never thought a change of strings would make such a difference.

Besides that if they are good enough for Angus Young and all the other legends listed on the packet who am I to argue. :D

So they get my vote.

As with most things YMMV.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I use daddarios, but mainly because they gave me a couple sets when I got my guitar. They do seem really nice though compared to the stock ones.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Kami,
You don't say what guitar you have. Most solid body electrics tend to come fitted with 9s (9-42) and (semi-)hollow bodies with 10s (10-46) and acoustics with, either 11s or 12s.
You don't need to stay with those gauges, but changing may require other changes to the setup of the guitar. You may need to adjust the truss rod, the intonation and/or the vibrato (tremelo, whammy, or whatever you like to call it). I don't want to put you off, just make you aware of potential issues, should you decide to change gauges.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

with an electric guitar remember to change strings fairly often.
if they start to rust then you are about six months behind the change schedule.

change often. you'll like the results.
anyway, for electric I always use Ernie Ball Super Slinkey 10's.
I love o sound and feel of the nickel that's used.
for acoustic I use phosphor bronze. no particular brand.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The trouble with strings is that if you ask twenty players which strings are best you'll get thirty different answers. We answer this one a lot, too.

Rotosound are very good - 10's on my electric and they come with a free speare 1st string, and Rotosound Country Gold 11's (phosphor bronze) on my accoustic. I've got Martins on my 12-string because they're lights and the bridge is suffering, For completeness - Hannabach 815 Low Tension on my number 1 classical, Augustine blue on the number 2 and the number 1 backup, and D'Addario on the number 2 backup.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote