Clear all

How do you hold a pick?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When ever I see professional musicans play, they usually are holding the pick with just their thumb and index finger. I've always used my thumb index and middle finger to hold a pick, I feel that ive got a better grip on it. Whenever I just hold it with two fingers, it starts sliding around or spinning. How do you all hold your pick? I hold it with 3 fingers when I'm strumming and playing lead. Is there any reason most professional players hold it with just two fingers?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I sorta switch between them, and I usually don't use the point of the pick but the rounded top corners.

And I don't angle it, either.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Between thumb and index. That leaves the middle free for hybrid picking.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I'm not a professional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I've always used just the thumb and forefinger to hold the pick and for the first 6-9 months I would always have the pick slip and or drop out of my hand when playing.

I tried all different picks, some which seemed to help alittle but eventually I got over that problem and rarely if ever have a problem with the pick and even when it slips I usually can use some part of it to pick a string with until I can readjust.

I don't do any hybrid picking but as Noteboat mentioned if you wanted to do it you may need the middle finger.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'm not a professional either, but I stayed in a Ramada Inn Tuesday night. I use just thumb and index. I've never had a problem with it moving around, so I can't help there.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Nor am I a professional but, I stayed in a dumpster tomorrow night. :wink:

I use thumb and index. I think the more fingers you have on the pick equals less movement with the pick. I feel like I can control and get better reach with using my thumb and index.

But then again, thats the way I like doing it. Everybodies different.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well I'm wondering if I might want to start practicing with just two fingers on the pick, think I should? It seems I'm rather alone on the whole 3 fingers thing...

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I use three fingers most of the time, I'm all about control. I do stretch out and play with my middle finger when I'm doing hybrid picking, but I prefer to have both my middle and index on the pick.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@ich-kampfe)
Eminent Member

I suppose you should just do whatever is most confortable.

I hold it with thumb and index.

My Gear:
Gibson SG, Fender Jazz Bass, Squier Strat
Fender Frontman 15G and 15B( 15w of power, baby! :( Not to mention a sound that will make your ears bleed! m/ )
Jim Dunlop Fins (.67 mm, the best)
My New Best Friend: The Metronome

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I sorta switch between them, and I usually don't use the point of the pick but the rounded top corners.

And I don't angle it, either.

Man I thought I was the only freak that did that! I have yet to see another player use the rounded corners.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I use the rounded corners from time to time, I sometimes use them as a way to 'cheat' through sweep picked passages, as they provide less resistance as you go over the strings.

I'm trying to improve my sweep picking right now, trying to get over that crutch...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Well I'm wondering if I might want to start practicing with just two fingers on the pick, think I should? It seems I'm rather alone on the whole 3 fingers thing...
I used to need three fingers (like you) to hold the pick so it doesn't slip or turn. I put a little piece of double-sided scotch tape (sticky on both sides) on both sides of the pick, and now it grips good enough that two fingers gives enough grip.

The stickyness lasts for several hours, then I just put on a new piece on each side.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

FWIW: EVH uses thumb and middle finger to hold his pick, leaving the index free for tapping and harmonics

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I once broke my right index finger. Until it healed, I held the pick with the thumb and middle - the splint was taped to the back of my hand, so I couldn't hold a pick with the index at all. When I later learned tapping, that grip seemed very natural. The stuff I play rarely uses tapping though, so I end up only using that grip when I'm teaching it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I'm not a professinal either, but mt wife is, so I slept on the couch in the basement last night.

I hold the pick with my thumb only, no fingers, just the thumb. One thumb. One hand. Nope, no fingers, just the thumb. Uh-huh, just thumb. All thumb here. No Fingers needed. None. (Well, perhaps I do use my index finger occassionally, just to help out that lone thumb a little. :wink: ).

I see no harm in using three as long as it allows you to perform all of the skills you want to. Do what works for you.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote