Skip to content
how to choose a goo...

Notifications
Clear all

how to choose a good strummin pattern to play slow songs?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello I'm a beginner, not particullary talented too by the way :-), so I would like to pose you just a quick question:

from what I understood sometimes it is not necessary to replicate the exact strumming of a song but it is more important to choose a similar one and to change the chords at the right time. So if this is true what strumming pattern would you suggest me to play slow rock songs?

Thanks in advance to everyone

Matteo

(@fingersnfumbs)
Eminent Member

http://scenicnewengland.net/guitar/acoustic/info/strumming.htm

pattern no 10 apparently

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Matteo

This is one of the hardset things to learn. And describe too!

I have posted quite a few words on this subject on this forum over the last year. So excuse me if i simplify things a bit here.

First off you need to get a clear idea of the actual beat or rhythm of the song in your head before you do anything.

So stick it on the CD player and don't even bother with your guitar - leave it in the corner of the room to look after itself.

LISTEN closely to the track you want to play. Ignore the guitar - listen to the drums. What are they doing? Are they "busy" or just keeping a quiet rhythm? Start tapping out the rhythm with your foot, or better still on the table top with your hands. Count out loud "One two three four" on the beat (i am assuming the song is in 4/4 time - it probably is if its rock!).

When i say tap the rhythm out, i don't mean just tap tap tap tap for one two three four, i mean try and get the other beats in as well.

For instance it might be

one two three(and)four(and) that you hear. So when you are saying your "one two three four" out loud, you hear a beat played between the three and four, and immediately after the four. Hope you get what i mean there!

So once you've decided on the beat - that's the time to pick up the guitar. But don't strum yet, use the body of the guitar to play rhythm like a drum, beat out the rhythm on the guitar until it feels natural to you. If you have a set of bongos, go play them as well!

After that, let's sayt you have settled on

ONE TWO THREE(and) FOUR (and) as your basic pattern - fit a strum to it, so you might try downstroles ON the beat (that is, on the couunts of ONE TWO THREE FOUR) and upstrokes "off" the beat (on the AND part).

So it would be

1 2 3 + 4 +
D D D U D U

I find this "listen, tap out, get rhythm, then play" method works nine times out of ten. Even on complex rhythms, if you can get your body to "feel" what's happening, you will be able to replicate it with the guitar.

Good luck

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

good advice. Try clapping along with the song.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks to everybody for the kind answers and suggestions. I'll try and let you know.

Matteo

ReplyQuote