How to clean my guitar?

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kevt1982)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what to use to keep my acoustic guitar (strings, body etc) clean and in good shape i.e. do i need to buy a special formula or can i use common household cleaning products?

Any help appreciated

Kev

(@Anonymous)

Kev,

Don't use any furnature polish or anything like that. There will be too much of a build up. Many here have said just use a damp (and I mean DAMP...NOT wet!) cloth and wipe your guitar after every practice including the strings (and under the strings).

However, recently I have been using Love Potion polish by Dean Markley. They have had combo packs available at my local Daddy's Junky Music....2 sets of Blue Steel strings, Love Potion #9 and #11, and a really nice cleaning cloth for $14. I use it on all my guitars. The #11 is for deep cleaning and used on tougher cleanups and the #9 is a spray that can be used everyday.

I still use a damp cloth to clean but about once per week I use this polish and it helps keep a shine and minimize fingerprints (except on black guitars...NOTHING can stop fingerprints on those :cry: !)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Just strap it on the roof rack and drive through a carwash. :twisted:

OR.....

Follow Mike's suggestions. :) Mostly, a quick wipe over with a soft dry cloth at intervals seems to do the job for me but, as he says, a slightly damp one can sometimes be pressed into service.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I usually use an old plain T-SHIRT, I have one in each of my guitar cases and one in my music room. I wipe my "GITS" down before I put them in the stand or back in their case.

I usually do a thorough cleaning every other string change or so like Mike, I usually use a lightly damp cloth.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

never ever use a household cleaner on your guitar. they are incompatible to the finishes.
lemon oil on the neck is the exception.
polishes and cleaners made for guitars are ok.
but I use the soft cloth (old tshirsts are really good) and a bit of dampness.

wipe things down after playing and your guitar will lat for a long time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I use that Gibson Guitar Polish on my guitars. After use I have a lint free cloth that I wipe the neck and strings with. I also got some of that Gibson Luthers Choice Fretboard stuff. Works great.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Here's a page full of tip for caring for your guitar.

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/guitar_care_preservation_tips.html

I just wipe mine down with a cloth diaper after playing.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

99% of the time I use a car chamois. A cloth diaper, lint free cloth, microfiber cloth will work fine too.

1% of the time I oil the fretboard with lemon oil or Scott's liquid gold. I apply it with a 0000 or 00000 steel wool pad.

Very rarely, if I am trying to get gunk off of some yard sale treasure or used guitar bargain I use lighter fluid.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

99% of the time I use a car chamois. A cloth diaper, lint free cloth, microfiber cloth will work fine too.

1% of the time I oil the fretboard with lemon oil or Scott's liquid gold. I apply it with a 0000 or 00000 steel wool pad.

Very rarely, if I am trying to get gunk off of some yard sale treasure or used guitar bargain I use lighter fluid.

How did I know that lighter fluid ws going to come up? :P :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OH NOOOOOOO.......Not the non-inflammable lighter fluid......

Your eyebrows grown back yet, TF?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote