Clear all

Strings ;/

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I got my dads friend to tune my guitar (as I cant do it) ;P And he's a music teacher. He did it in about 3 minutes. I was like 'Wow'. He said that they have tightened the strings up a bit too tight so it wont stay in tune for very long. Should I change the strings?

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Being able to tune your own guitar is a very useful skill to have, and shouldn't take all that long to learn. :)

If you don't have a tuner of your own (there are quite a few different types) you can always use one of the many free ones on the net, so long as your computer has sound and speakers.

It's just a matter of learning to match the sound you hear from the tuner to the sound from your strings. The only real danger is accidentally trying to tune an octave too high or low.

For instance, the top and bottom strings are both tuned to E, but they are two octaves apart. They sound as if they "match" and they do, but they are not identical. One is a lot higher than the other.

If you fit new strings yourself they are also likely to go out of tune a fair bit over the next few days, and need regular retuning. The way that's usually recommended to avoid this is to give them a bit of a stretch as part of the fitting process, to help settle them in. But you'd probably need a bit more advice on how to do the stretching part.

You can also just tune a guitar "to itself". That basically means getting one string to sound right and then tuning the other ones using the first one as a reference point.

Is there any particular part of the tuning process that you're stuck on, or you still at square one generally when it comes to tuning?

There's an article here at GN which might help:

How to tune your guitar

Good luck

Cheers Chris

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I think every begginer should have a tuner. Learning to tune doesn't come that quickly for most people. I think you should practice it though and check your work with the tuner. Like everthing else you get better with practice.

If your guitar is strung well you should have to tune it a couple of times. I usually tune it, check it immediatly, make adustments and then play it for a while. I usually have to tune again in an hour or so, after which it should hold the tune fairly well. I am a bit lazy and tune my guitar about every three days or so(or if it sounds out) but really I should tune it each day.

I was taught never to overtighten the strings and I never do. It increases the risk of breaking a string and personally I don't believe it accomplishes anything, though others swear by it.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I was taught never to overtighten the strings and I never do. It increases the risk of breaking a string and personally I don't believe it accomplishes anything, though others swear by it.

The tip that I saw in a video by the guitarist Tommy Emmanuel, was to just give the strings a bit of a tug after the strings are first fitted and partially tuned.

He was shown just holding the string in the middle and pulling it upwards a bit. There may also have been a little tug from side to side too, but I can't quite remember the details.

He said that he put new strings on before a performance, settled them in like that, and guaranteed that they would stay in tune all night.

Of course, the tricky part is how hard do you tug? I once fitted some strings and gave a somewhat overenthusiastic tug on the high E and pulled it clean off the ball at the end. :shock: :lol:

Fortunately I was able to re-wrap it around the ball and fitted it again with no problems. Gave up on the full throttle tugs though! :roll:

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Of course, the tricky part is how hard do you tug? I once fitted some strings and gave a somewhat overenthusiastic tug on the high E and pulled it clean off the ball at the end. :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Chris.
Yup, the key is a gentle tug at the middle of the string with more than one finger. With one finger there is the potential of also putting a kink in the string. Just pulling up even a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch a couple of times is plenty. The idea is to pull the strings tight on the ball end seat, the tuners and just to stretch the strings a little. Don't take much and the strings will stay in tune much better in the first day or so of new strings.

And yes, Chlozo an investment in an inexpensive electronic tuner is worth it's weight in gold. Here is a link to a PC based one that only requires a built in or external microphone AP Tuner

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When I change strings I follow the techniques HERE. There have NEVER let me down and if s string goes out of tune it's not by much. The stretching technique is a good skill to learn.. Basically you manually stretch your strings since they will stretch anyway if you don't. This minimizes unwanted stretching and out of tune strings.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Should I change the strings?

And along with a string change you'll need to retune your guitar. As suggested look into getting an electronic tuner. Mine has become invaluable.

Cheers.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I also stretch strings up by the tuners past the nut! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Interesting I had thought that Chris meant to tune past standard, which is what some of my friends do. After reading more I think I mis-understood you.

From Nils
Yup, the key is a gentle tug at the middle of the string with more than one finger

Are you basically talking about string bending? Or do you mean pull up away from the neck? I wouldn't have any argument with trying either of those methods.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yup, the key is a gentle tug at the middle of the string with more than one finger. With one finger there is the potential of also putting a kink in the string. Just pulling up even a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch a couple of times is plenty. The idea is to pull the strings tight on the ball end seat, the tuners and just to stretch the strings a little. Don't take much and the strings will stay in tune much better in the first day or so of new strings.

Thanks for the good tip Nils. I'll lay off the Tarzan act, and just do it gently from now on. :wink:

MaxRumble,

The method I saw just involved a modest pull up from the neck as Nils described, not tuning it past standard.

As Nils says, the object of the exercise is just to ensure everything is seated properly, and to get the initial stretching over and done with.

When a new set of strings are put under tension for the first time a small amount of stretching is pretty much inevitable as they settle in. If you're not performing in public with new strings then it probably doesn't matter whether you just spread the adjusting over the next day or so, or use a method that sorts it out at the start. It's obviously more of an issue if you're going to risk keep going a bit out of tune on stage.

Mike's link to an article here at GN describes the same process. However, the author talks about a pretty full-on tug of the strings, and seems to do it several times. I'm a bit less energetic than that now, and closer to Nils method. :)

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Interesting I had thought that Chris meant to tune past standard, which is what some of my friends do. After reading more I think I mis-understood you.

From Nils
Yup, the key is a gentle tug at the middle of the string with more than one finger

Are you basically talking about string bending? Or do you mean pull up away from the neck? I wouldn't have any argument with trying either of those methods.
As Chris clarified it is just up and away from the neck to get the initial stretching done and everything seated.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike's link to an article here at GN describes the same process. However, the author talks about a pretty full-on tug of the strings, and seems to do it several times. I'm a bit less energetic than that now, and closer to Nils method. :)

Cheers, Chris.

The thought behind this article is that tugging on the strings only once isn't enough. You keep doing it then retune and keep repeating until the tugging doesn't throw the strings out of tune. I only tug them about 1/2 inch at the 12th fret...takes about 4-6 tries depending on how good I strung the guitar in the first place.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you're going to buy an electronic tuner (which I recommend highly), DON'T buy one of those lame "guitar tuners" that only has the notes E, A, D, G, B on it. Get a chromatic tuner. First time you want to tune your guitar into an alternate tuning, you'll be mighty glad you have it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Ill have to give the string tug a try the next time I replace my strings.

Also I second Ricochets statement about Chromatic tuners.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote