Notifications
Clear all

How to move to Barre Chords - help!!!

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Lexus wrote: I'll continue on with the 3 P's and await the day it all comes together I guess. :roll:

Just anxious to make up for lost years and songs to learn.

You and about 75% of us here. Lots of us with the same story. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi mate

just a quick note: I've been playing for a couple of years and even if I'm happy with my general sense of rhythm (I can recognize patterns in the songs and play along with records and metronome with several differnt strummin patterns), there is still a lot of things that I've not mastered completely. Barre chords are one of them. Ok I've improved a lot, but I'm still not satisfied at all (also I'm not 100% satisified of my G open chord tough but that's another kettle of fish!). Anyway having said that I play with a classical guitar which is not the easiest instrument to play barre chords on, I noticed that to play them efficiently it is better to change a bit the hand position. I mean:

a) first assure that your thumb is up, under the neck and parallel to the frets
b) put your thumb a bit lower than usual (like if you play rock-shuffle)

This is not easy to learn: i.e. when I play E-shape barres I tend to put the tumb parallel to the headstock with the result that the sound is muddy

so the only thing to say is to keep on trying and you will get it

Matteo

p.s. don't forget that guitar learning could be very long and generate a lot of unsatisfaction towards your own abilities but I guess that this is one of the beautiest thing of learning an instrument

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2