Humbuckers vs. singlecoil

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Im trying to decide wich type of guitar i want as my first electric. Right now it stands between a Tanglewood les paul copy and a cheaper SX strat-copy. Right now the strat-type is leading because its cheaper and because if i had to choose between Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, i would go for Pink Floyd. I have a couple of questions that may help me decide.

I understand that the string spacing in tighter on a strat. Will i be able to play fingerpicking songs lika SWTH on a strat type? (I have small hands...)

If I choose i "fat strat", what strat sound am i loosing by replacing the bridge pickup with a humbucker?

Thats all for now i think..
Thanks.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

First of all: Gilmour did play a strat, but mostly with various active/high-output elements that are more like humbuckerst hen single-coils, sonically. Anyway, fingerpicking is definitely possible. You know sultans of Swing? Fingerpicked on a strat.

Secondly, you won't be losing much at all with a fat strat. I hardly know anyone who would willing use a bridge single-coil, the sound is usually so harsh and sharp that you'd be much better of with either warmer bucker or simply selecting another pup position. If you're unsure: (some?) humbuckers can be splitted so that they are either normal buckers or lower-then-normal-output singlecoils.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I have a Washburn strat copy and I agree with Arjen, you won't really be loosing anything by replacing that bridge pup.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I beleive strats are wider at the nut than LP's. Though, the copy you're looking at might have different neck dimensions. And like Arjen says, you can get close to a single coil sound by splitting your bridge HB. It won't be exactly the same because of the magnetic footprint of the other coil, but it'll be damn close.

Overall, the best advice anyone can give is to just try them out, see what you like.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went to the local music store today and tried a Squier strat and a Epi les paul classic. I really liked the strat better. Open chords on the Epi didnt sound good at all, simply too much. And fingerpicking on the strat was indeed possible.. :oops:

Great to hear that a fat strat would be a good compromise. I think i'm gona go for a fat strat and a microcube.

Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote