Notifications
Clear all

I am a Prospective Learner of the Guitar

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I could write tons of stuff on this subject but, as it was mentioned, go with what you envision yourself playing. If you listen to acoustic music mostly and see yourself doing that get one. If you listen to rock or harder stuff grab an electric and let it rip. You must ultimately figure out where you'll be in a couple of years after practicing.

To this I'll add two things. One, your choice to pick up and learn guitar (if you stay with it) can be one of the most fun things you do in your life. Two, if you are not really poor, spend about $300 on your first guitar to get over the problems cheap guitar typically have. If you stop playing you can always sell it later for little loss. If you stick with guitar you can sell it and upgrade later.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@knanuk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I bought a guitar today - electric - with a small amp.
Spent about 20 to 25 minutes trying to get the note in the beginners lesson, and think that I was pushing down too hard on the strings - as I was hitting the other string beside it with my finger.
Trials and errors will be abounding for me for quite a while -
Glad that the cat did not take off though
Till Later - and thanks for all of your replies

old geezer trying to learn the guitar

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Enjoy it. So what did you end up with?

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I bought a guitar today

Congratulations! And, welcome to the ranks of the pickers of the world! Sore fingers and frustrations will become very minor things in the great scheme of guitar playing! Once you pluck that first recognizable tune, you'll find that there's no turning back! We've got you now!!!! :twisted:
LOL!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@knanuk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I think that you are right saying "Now we've got you" - and I think it will be quite a substantial amount of time till something recognizeable comes off of the strings, but I have lots of time over the winter, so that will not be a problem.
Thanks for all your help and I am sure that I will be asking questions over the next while
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Well, I was at a shop today and was really , really confused. The first time that I looked at guitars , ever.A fellow, whom I talked to was making a guitar right there.( the website is coolguitars.ca if anyone is interested)

Next week I will go again, having thought and checked my purse strings

Knanuk, I bought a guitar off the internet (left-handed too) from a guy who did 2525. I can't find the web address, it's on my home PC. I think the name is Denny Zagar and it's easier to play because of the "string science" he applies to his guitars. Well,.... OK ... whatever.

I can tell you, it is easier to play and the sound was good to decent (it's a Washburn) but I know I may have paid $100 to $150 over what it normally would have cost, but I knew that before buying it! They kind of gouge on the shipping but...

Also, if you want to start playing songs REAL quick try this site:
http://www.guitarsimplified.com
You BARRE all the chords across, go to level II first. You can play all Major and Minor Chords and some 7'th's. The bad part is the farther down the fretboard you go it starts to sound "shrill" and lacks depth. The upside is if you fingerpick it sounds much better.

ReplyQuote
(@bundy)

Hi There !,

Just wanted to say that if there's a spark of interest in there - go for it !

I'm now 38 years old and up until 2 years ago I'd only ever been the distant admirer of anyone strumming out a tune ......... these days, well I wouldn't say I'm ready for any concerts or anything, but I really love playing my guitar (Lucille), my wife love's my new talent, and my old friends are simply blown away at what I can play.

I have to say that it definitely takes commitment, perserverance and by no means does it come easy, but it does come, slowly and steadily.

A good start is to spend a bit of money and buy a guitar that you're proud to hold (a reasonable piece of workmanship that you admire). Then get yourself a tutor (at least 1 visit per week) who can guide you in the right direction over the first 6-12 months.

Following this, buy yourself a guitar stand so your guitar is always 'handy' then as the desire presents itself - pick up your baby and play her (10 times a day x 10 minutes each if that's all the time you have - but stick at it)

Slowly but surely your fingers will start to learn their place, your chords will begin to ring true and within 6-12 months you'll be stringing chords together and playing songs that even then the roughest critic will recognise.

The rest is history - from there on in you'll be hooked like everyone else who gets that far and you'll never look back.

Me - well my only regret now is that I didn't imagaine I could do it when I was 18 instead of 38 (man, where would I be now ?)

Dedication, persiverance and a dream to make music !

Get yourself a guitar and teach her to sing ..................

ReplyQuote
(@knanuk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, having had two lessons now it still is not coming too well, but , honestly have a lot of other things on the go right now - so have not had much time to practice.
It will be a long journey, but well worth it in the long run
Take care all

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Just so you know, I've dropped the BARRE device and I've also started taking lessons - last night was the first one. I ask him for exercises that helps me change chords faster.

If it wasn't for this website, I don't think I would have thought about taking lessons! This is HANDS DOWN - the best website for a beginner!

Thanks to Dave and everyone else.

I'm Bob Jessie and I approve this message!

Sorry.... just voted this morning and got carried away.....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2