Notifications
Clear all

I am not to old to play the guitar

38 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

52 here started at 50, as you can see by the posts your rather on the young side for a beginner. :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

40 here. Started at the ripe age of 38. I also play in a 38 & over baseball league, I ride a Harley and still chase the wife around the house. Somewhere along the line, I lost my "how to be mid-aged" text book. Man, I just know I'm gonna have to pay for it too.
My son now thinks all this is normal. I wonder if that's good or bad? :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

As a baby learns to walk it takes one careful, tentative step at a time. Falls gets back up, but within a few months is running, not actively thinking about where his feet are going.

Like that your fingers are learning how to walk across the frets. Slow and sluggish at first but then your eyes will see a written chord on paper and your left hand will automatically go to it, without actively thinking. THAT is when the fun really starts. You'll get there.

Any practice time is good. I rarely watch TV anymore and if I do I have guitar in hand. I've also been caught playing a quick exercise on the guitar in between putting on my socks. One sock on, one sock off, chromatic exercises.

Welcome to GN. Best guitar forums in the world.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Great analogy, mikey! I can relate as most people!!!

Baby steps, I like that!

ReplyQuote
(@zilla)

I'm 35 and a guitar noob, too. I just started playing, or shall I say attempting to play, 2 weeks ago. It's something I always wanted to do and I happen to have an old, beat up, beginners guitar, so I bought some strings for it and here I am.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I'm 45, started playing at age 34, quit after 4 years and now I'm back.

You are never too old to do anything! Just remember to have fun.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

and here I am.

Glad your here!! Welcome to GN. :D

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@fretful)

Don't leave me out! Age 52 (ah, the joy of anominity) and have played for about 2-1/2 years after wanting to for probably 2-1/2 DECADES! It's great! Call us Geezer Guitar Geeks, but only pity the ones still on the sidelines!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3