Clear all

I can't remember the notes.

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok I have been practicing the notes on the first and second string. After about a hour of practicing I know the notes when I see, but then the next day I forget all over again. Any suggestions to make the notes stick in my head? It always seems like I'm relearnig what I supposedly learned the day before. :?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The first answer is always keep practicing and eventually it will burn in.

There is also a tool for learning the fretboard which basically acts like a test called "fretboard warrior" which is online. there is a link to it on my pages below in the external helpful links section.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

A free down load from notecard may be helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

^^^^^^^
What's "notecard"? Is it a real website or are you being sarcastic saying I should right things on note cards? (Which is what I was thinking of doing.) :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Can you just clarify real quick:

You can't remember what they are on the fret board (Like the 1st fret of E is an F, and third fret is G?) or you can't remember what they are written down in musical notation..?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hi

out of curisiosity I clicked on Niles 's webb site then clicked on Fret board map and I will be buggered it is right there exactly what you wanted .

Not just for all you right handers but us lefties as well

well done Niles all beginers should have a look there , strumming / fret board everything one needs .
:wink:
cheers

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can you just clarify real quick:

You can't remember what they are on the fret board (Like the 1st fret of E is an F, and third fret is G?) or you can't remember what they are written down in musical notation..?
Its kinda both. Like one night I would learn the first three notes for the first and second sting. By the end of the night I could know all of them without looking them up. But then the next day I have to reteach my self alot of the notes.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

When I learned the fretboard I found saying the notes aloud and trying to mimic them with my voice as I was saying the note helped alot. unfortunately it sounds really stupid my wife didn't like it so I made sure I was alone.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

http://familygames.com/free/notecard.html , Here is the addy for note card. Hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member

My practice falls off, and I don't keep it very consistent, but when I tried to learn the fretboard, I would divide it up by every whole step. That way, it would be easier to name the notes before and after each whole step, and remember their enharmonic names aswell.

What I did to remember them, however, was I tried to remember distinctively in my head the sound of the notes, and I would look create a visual in my head of a fret board, and just start making note progressions, each one landing on the correct note.

Now, sure you have to have some practice to be able to do that, but I theorize that trying to play the same thing you're making in your head, and matchin' up all the notes, could do it.

Don't take my advice to willingly, however. I've been very inconsistent with my practice, and only remember the E strings' notes.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

SOB (I feel as if I'm insulting you when I call you that, haha)

I'm not sure if any of this will help, but:

To remember the notes on the neck, think of this. Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good bye Eddie. E A D G B E , starting from the lowest string.

On the neck, each note is two frets away. (2 frets meaning from say 5th fret, to 7th fret, or 3rd to 5th) All of the notes are like this, except E and F, AND B and C, those are only 1 fret apart.

So "armed with that knowledge" you know that on the highest string (E) the 1st fret is F (because theres only a 1 fret difference between E and F) and the 3rd fret is G, because theres a 2 fret difference between F and G)

On string A, the 2nd fret is B, because there is a 2 fret difference between A and B...And the 3rd fret is C, because theres a 1 fret difference between B and C.

With that knowledge, you should be able to figure out what any note on the guitar is.

As for reading notes:

Remeber these two phrases.

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge ( EGBDF)

and Face. (...FACE)

The first expression, Every Good boy deserves Fudge, represents the actual lines on the stave. The lowest line (without any ledger lines) is an E, the next line is a G, the next a B, the next a D, and the next an F.

The second expression, FACE, represents the spaces between the lines. The lowest space being F, the next A, the next C, and the next E.

So, Eddie Ate Dynamite Good bye Eddie, for the string names,

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, for the lines on the stave

and FACE for the spaces.

Hope that helps a little. I'm not sure if you already knew that stuff.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote