Clear all

what'r those danged crazy knobs fer

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

new to guitar and just got a used Gibson LP Studio. Never done the electric thing before. Silly question but what are each of the four knobs on the guitar for, and what does the treble/rythym switch do (appears to have 3 settingsTreble, Middle, and Rythym).

I would guess that one knob is volume/level? one is treble? one bass? and a fourth that doesnt seem to do much of anything?

I plan to take to a pro guitar repair/maintenance guy soon to look it over, but i want to play it a bit first.

thanks for any help!

(@shadychar)
Trusted Member

The two knobs closest to the neck are volume knobs. The two towards the bridge are tone knobs. The ones closest to the strings are for the Rhythm pickup and the other two are for the Treble pickup. The Treble/Rhythm switch switches between the two pickups, giving different sounds. The Treble has... well, more treble and is more 'nasal'. The Rhythm one is bassier. The middle setting uses both pickups at once. Messing around with the pickup/tone/volume settings and see what you like.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks shadychar....which pup is the treble and which is rythym?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey, congrats on gettting a new guitar!

It being used doesn't really matter - it's new to you.

Anyhow, the treble pickup position on that little 3 way switch would select the pickup which is closest to the bridge, and the Rhythm setting would select only the pickup closest to the neck.

Like shadychar said, the middle position switches both of them on.

Good luck with it, and don't forget, you can have both pickups on at the same time and then fool around with the tone or volume of one or the other and get a nice set of blends going for yourself. It doesn't have to be 'one or the other, or both'; you can get little nuances just by fooling with the knobs a bit.

Have fun!

ReplyQuote