Skip to content
I don't practice wi...

Notifications
Clear all

I don't practice with an amp, is that weird?

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

By default I am practicing without an amp right now. We are having one heck of a storm in the north east and the power just went out.

I use to practice often unplugged and found that it was OK for practicing basic strumming and chords but when I plug in I then have to correct the mistakes I am making. Seems to me like technique goes out the window when you can't hear it. On the other hand, IMHO, any practice is good practice so if the only choice is unplugged then by all means DO IT.

Going to pick up an acoustic now so I can make some sound.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

Could someone please explain why having a tube amp on low is not a good idea. This is the first I have heard of this being a problem. I mostly play acoustic unplugged, but do play my electrics from time to time. I usually keep the amp low to give my neighbors a break from my newbie noodling. I have a Blues Jr. tube amp. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Having a tube amp turned low is not a problem, as far as the amp goes (or the neighbours, for that matter).

It is simply that the tone, that everyone expects from a tube amp only comes when the tubes are driven hard - read "high volume".

At low volumes, tube amps don't sound any different to good quality solid state amps.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

On that note NwoodGirl, there's nothing for you to worry about. If you want to play it on low, it's not a problem. Whoever said that earlier was (I believe) restating a rumour they had heard and wanted clarification on.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

I've got a Crate Vintage Club 50 tube that I use low all the time... had it for years, never a problem. This is news to me as well.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2