Clear all

I hate to bring this up...as it's probably been discussed

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is there a thread about practicing speed?? Chord changing and soloing??? I hope I'm not beating a long dead thread so if there is I'd appreciate being pointed to it :D

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

To play songs fast
First you must play them slowly
Patience, increase speed.

To solo the best
Play along with your music
The solo will come

Patience and practice
Always and forever known
To master players

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm....any way of doing it as an impatient person????

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Grow more patient? and practice

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I keep asking the same question as to getting rich. :? :wink:

So in answer to your question: Yep ... slowly. :D

As is said: Make haste slowly.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

We Sith are not known for our guitar patience.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Here's a good intro lesson to get you going.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/speed_buster_part_1_-_more_practice.html

Set your metronome to a reasonably slow setting, say 60bpms, and stress ACCURACY when you practice. Don't set the bpms faster until you can nail these lessons ACCURATELY. Speed without accuracy sounds like trash. But, I think within a few months of dedicated practice, you'll be surprised at how fast you can play. My teacher just got me started on a similar plan, with warmups, scales, different picking techniques, etc. I have no interest in shredding, but I'm doing it to help with other aspects of playing, namely accuracy!

Good technique is also very important. Everything from your seating posture to your thumb position can make a difference.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/right_and_left_hand_technique_part_1_-_guitar_position.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/right_and_left_hand_technique_part_2_-_left_hand_position.html

And may the force be with you. Uhm, or whatever a Sith uses.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Tell me one thing.When a kid is born ,how much time does it take him (or her) to first -

1.Walk

2.Run

3.Read

4.Write

And believe me s/he only achieves that because they keep trying , patiently , ever hours of their life.Of course you don't have to do it every hour of your life , but you can't rush it.You can't reach the 10nth step without going through the first 9 OR you are bound to fall.I did try and also got the same results.

Best of luck 8)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm only joking about the Sith thing. I guess if it takes time it takes time and there's nothing else to do. So I'll just keep at it. I'll just have to wait to play like SRV....wonder how long it took Stevie to play like Stevie?????

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'm not trying to be crass at all, believe me I understand what you are saying. Its took SRV ALL his life to play like he did at the end of his life. Same as it will all of us. I'm not trying to be a philosopher, I am just a dumb country boy... but just enjoy every minute of playing. Its a life time full of fun.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Like that scene in Kung Fu...where Caine's son asks him how long will it take to learn...and Caine says..."A life time...maybe a little bit longer". Well, I'm working on it. Chord changes are still hard for me. I was trying to practice Bob Seager's Night Moves, but changing from the C to the open F for a single 8th note and then from the F to the G is REALLY hard. I can play it but it's hardly recognizable. Right now I got Horse with No Name down pretty good and can even sing a bit while playing but the chord changes ain't that hard. Right now I'm working on Wish You Were Here. I love that song and it's nice to be able to play it...sort of. Dave's lessons are good taking it step by step. Only problem is that Floyd makes me depressed so I better not play it too often.

ReplyQuote