Skip to content
I have the money to...

Notifications
Clear all

I have the money to buy a guitar now...but what to do?

54 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it.

And yes Chris, I already got this site bookmarked. ;)

And I know this question varies from person to person, but do you think it makes sense to pay for a guitar teacher? I've heard from a friend of mine for example, who thinks at first you should teach yourself the basics, since if you actually pay attention they can be simple. But once things get harder you should really go to one.

I think that sounds about right, but what do you think? Think I should go to lessons right off the bat or no?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

One vote here for lessons.

If you find a teacher with whom you connect (musical styles, general personality, etc), you might progress faster and stay motivated better through having regular lessons.

There are plenty of great self-taught guitarists out there and some people just have a natural affinity for picking it up, but if you can afford lessons and have the opportunity, I think you should go for it.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

yes, go for lessons as soon as you can. it's pretty hard to get the basics by yourself. it's pretty hard to get them even with a teacher for that matter but you'll be a little more motivated to do well if you're paying someone. you'll learn more than you think.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

... what do you think? Think I should go to lessons right off the bat or no?

The stock answer is that it's good to have a teacher. But, like most things in life, it's not always that simple..... :?

A good teacher is priceless, but a bad or mediocre one might not be worth the money. When you start out you'll find it hard to tell the difference, plus the money is likely to mean quite a lot to you (unless you can talk a relative into stumping up for a few lessons. :wink: )

There are some excellent teach yourself books, and also some very good online sites and they can provide most of the information. In fact, by reading a book, or asking questions here, you are still using a teacher - just not one you can see. But there are some things that are always best learned face to face.

For instance, I was using the wrong fingers in the wrong places for a while and didn't realise it. A teacher spotted it and set me straight.

I was lucky enough to start with a very experienced teacher. He never put pressure on me or made me feel bad, and taught me a lot in quite a short time. I still look at his notes from time to time. But after a few months it started to feel like a chore to keep going back every week. I felt like I needed a few months on my own to really come to terms with everything I'd learned. My body just couldn't keep up with what my brain had taken in.

I still occasionally go and have a lesson or two from other people, but now I know that 4 or 5 weeks in a row is more than enough, and then I need more 'time out' to work on it in my own way until I feel ready to move on.

One of the teachers at the local shop says that he can give an attentive student all the basics they need to know in ten lessons, and after that they can add the rest of the details out of books and choose their own path. Other teachers might not agree, but I can see his point.

It is pretty individual though, so I'll be interested to see what others think. When it comes to learning, a style and timetable that suits one student can be a disaster for another. Once again, this is a great place to discuss your experiences and feelings about it all, because there's plenty of other folks here who will have "been there...done that.." :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Chris is exactly right. A good teacher is invaluable. I was lucky to find a good one and stick with him. He really wasn't a great teacher for a beginner. He's one of those incredibly talented people who can't understand how hard it can be for someone who's not naturally talented. Tried to teach me something new every lesson, when I needed to be going back and learning the basics and working on the previous lesson till I got it right. But I hung on until I started picking up some of his techniques and coming up with stuff on my own. Then I'd come in with something I'd figured out new and he'd get all excited. He'd start working with it and take off, and I couldn't do what he did with it, but it'd give me new inspiration. I've got stuff that's really mine, not his, but I couldn't have come up with it on my own. I've had someone to jam with, and a friend for life. And I never could've gotten all that on my own from stuff on the Internet or a book or video. The live interaction with another musician is just something that can't be replaced.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

What I know about the Squier Starter pack would fill a zip lock sandwich bag. So I would advise you to go with the Squier 51 and the Roland Cube 15. Someone else already mentioned this so I will just agree with him. I have 2 51s and love em. I have never played on a Cube but have read tons of great reviews on them and they are on sale.

Squier 51. $99
Roland Cube 15. $69.
Total. $168.

If your gonna buy online I would suggest musiciansfriend.com.

If your a newbie I would also suggest that you have someone set up your new axe.

Have FUN!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I agree with Chris that sometimes the fingers can't keep up the learning pace with the brain, and it takes a while to be able to implement what you've heard and been told in your lessons.

After getting down some basics, weekly lessons were just too frequent for my son and I--with school/work, etc, we couldn't get enough practice time in between lessons to show enough progress to make it worth a weekly investment. Our solution is that we alternate lesson weeks with the same teacher. One week is my son's lesson, the next week is mine.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hm I see.

Well, I do have a friend of mine, who knows a ton about guitars and has been playing them for about 6 years now (but plays them a lot and he advanced fast for his age). Problem with him is...time, he doesn't have much time on his hands to teach/guide me.

I don't know, I could try a few things. At first I could see how I go learning myself, if that doesn't work I could go with my friend and see if he helps me any. And lets say he does but doesnt have much time, I could go to a teacher since I'd realize then that having someone with you helps a ton.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As for the question about the Squier starter pack, I'll recommend it. That's how we got started here, with a Strat Pak for my son. He still uses that little amp a lot. Sounds pretty good.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, maybe this is a better plan

Squier '51- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636 : $99.99

Roland Cube 15- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15-1x8-15W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480022 : $69.99

Guitar Straps- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Patchworks-Cotton-Guitar-Strap?sku=361156 : $9.99

Korg CA-30 Chromatic Tuner- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210527 $24.99

Picks- Not sure on what kind to buy, but lets say they are under $10.00 (since obviously I'd buy a good amount so I could try them out)

Guitar Gig Bag- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Elite-Series-Electric-Guitar-Gig-Bag?sku=545160 : $19.99

Cable (Black 10 foot)- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Tweed-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=330075 : $5.99

Total price for everything above- $240

*IF NEEDED*
Headphones- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-HD201-Professional-Closed-Back-Headphones?sku=242417 : $24.95

With the headphones it'd be $265. That's $15 less than the Squier starer pack. Plus, this way I'd get a better guitar, amp, more straps, more picks, a better cable, a better gig bag(probably), plus better headphones.

The book, I'm sure would be less than $15, but even fi it was $20, it'd still be a better deal.

So guys, what do you think. This deal I outlined above, or the Squier starter pack?

After hearing various people play the Squier '51 on youtube, it's exactly the sound I want. Exactly.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'd vote for the '51 plan based on reviews from people here at GN and the fact that you say you have heard it on youtube and its exactly the sound you want.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'd vote for the '51 plan based on reviews from people here at GN and the fact that you say you have heard it on youtube and its exactly the sound you want.

Jim
Thanks, I mean the Squier is nice too, but as various people have said, the guitar doesn't matter as much right now. But for the price of the '51...it's a good deal, plus there is a limited amount of them. All the reviews I've been reading lately say the '51 stays in tune far better than other Squiers. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with that, I'll wait to hear a few more opinions though. :)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well (assuming you have never played before) at first you are going to think anything sounds horrible. It will take a little time before it sounds like music but if you keep at it, then it will happen.

My first was a old cheapo beater acoustic. Cost about 100 bucks. Sounded horrible. Almost two years and four guitars later, it is still my favorite guitar and its sounds pretty good.

But ya.. wait for more opinions. Good luck to ya.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I think the '51 package you've put together looks really good. The tuner shows on sale at $19.99, so there's a few less bucks to spend. If you can get to a music store you may be able to buy some picks individually, so as to try out an array for less expense--one more place to trim a little.

Include the headphones in your purchase if you can.

While you're getting to know your '51, save up for one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMP-2-Amp-Modeler?sku=480674

Many great tones and effects for only $100. You won't be sorry.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

^^Lookin at the features on that thing it looks pretty sick. Maybe, someday down the line I'll try it out. I probably will since I absolutely love guitar.

Thanks again guys. And to the person about margeret, I'm gonna go to a music today (hopefully) and I'll tell the guys about this package and I'll see if I can get a cheaper deal.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4