Identifying strings

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, tricky one.

I have no idea what strings are on my guitar at the moment, all I know is that the setup is about perfect.

If I change the strings how do I know what size to put on so that the new ones are an exact replacement for what is there already?

I'm assuming that there is no such thing as a "guitar string width measuring tool" so what's the best way to go about this?

Thanks guys :)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There is a "guitar string width measuring tool", it's called a micrometer. You only need to know the two E strings, all the rest fall into place. If it's a Strat type, chances are they're 9s (9-42), if it's an LP type, there's a good chance that it's got 10s (10-46), although I think Epi load their LPs with 9s.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

take the old strings off..... bring them to guitar shop..... show them to salesperson..... buy new set(s)..... go home..... put them on & play!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

take the old strings off..... bring them to guitar shop..... show them to salesperson..... buy new set(s)..... go home..... put them on & play!
You're putting a lot of faith in the hands of a salesman. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote