Skip to content
If any, what books ...

Notifications
Clear all

If any, what books are you all learning from?

41 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

IE: im learning, or certainly trying, from the Guitar for Dummies. anyone else learning from that one? or whats your method of learning?

Or does anyone have other suggestions besides that book?

Im open for any suggestions here.

SLODOGG62

(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Hey Slodogg, I'm reading/learning from that one as well. I was taking lessons for a while but had a falling out with my teacher. I am also using material that he gave me. The material was good, we just didn't agree on things.

GFD is a good book in that it teaches you what you need to play some songs as well as some theory to go along with it. The songs in the book are not the greatest but they also give you some names of other songs that have the chords they are teaching. I bought some Mel Bay books that I haven't opened yet so I don't have an opinion on those.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

KC (Jim-Bone)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you like blues and would like to learn how to play lead, then get Blues You Can Use by John Ganapes. Best book EVER! I think everyone who has the book will agree...

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

First I followed a book to remember the basic chords (I played guitar some years ago) and then I used the lessons and songs for beginners in this site. Also I read several books on general music theory.

Currently I'm preparing a list of blues books for Amazon and "Blues you can use" is on the top.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I have a a few books including the guitar for dummies–which I don't look at any more. The books do use are the Guitar Method 1 with DVD by Berklee Press. The Hal Leonard acoustic Guitar (supplement) and a few songbooks. I'm also learning using the emedia software, beginner and intermediate. I'm learning general theory from two other books as well.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@squaresville)

I have just begun with the previously mentioned Modern Method for Guitar 1 and companion DVD from Berklee Press. While it seems a bit dry, it looks to deliver an excellent foundation, including reading and being comfortable with standard notation, which is important to me. Also, all of the music is original, so you are actually learning to by doing rather than remembering how familiar songs are supposed to sound.

When I'm ready, I definitely want to pick up Blues you can Use as well.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm getting a lot of milage from Andrew Green's Jazz Guitar Structures and Jazz Guitar Technique lately.

Two very good texts with a lot of meat to digest in them.

I'm also learning a lot going over Wolf Marshall's The Best of Charlie Christian: A Step-by-Step Breakdown of the Styles and Techniques of the Father of Modern Jazz Guitar and I'm finding I am getting a bit more insight into some of the things Charlie was doing. I'm not learning here so much as solidifying ideas that I've had for some time but which weren't really tied to other ideas . . . if that makes sense.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I received Blues You Can Use and they are right!

It's a good basics book, at least that's how far I am so far.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elementalfire)

I just got my guitar 2 days ago and picked up the Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Complete Edition, but I didn't get the one with the cd. Got the first two lessons down last night and this morning. I also have the eMedia vol 1 & 2 on my pc.

Anyone else using this book?

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I like this thread!
Currently I'm using:
William Leavitt .Modern method for Guitar. (Berklee) . Excellent for sight reading!
Blues You Can Use....Yes I agree with all of you..it's really good.
Chord Chemistry: Ted Greene. Really good to dig in chord voicings.
The Advancing Guitarist. Mick Goodrick. This book taught me to improvise melodies in one single string..excellent tips.
Rikky Rooksby 's How to Write Songs on Guitar is my long time companion.
and finally i'm really happy with Tomo Fujita's Accelerate your Guitar Playing DVD and its accompanying (mini) book.

I'm planning to buy Ted Green's Chord Progression and I'm choosing some introductory books in order to play Jazz.(any tips?)

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I'm also using emedia 1& 2. While the instructor is not the most exciting the material is fairly good. I just wish there were more modern songs and less old traditionals.

I really enjoy the Berklee Guitar Method 1 with DVD. Excellent. (If you want to learn theory and music notation, which I do.)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

The only book I have is Fretboard Logic. I pretty much taught myself by reading About.com, this site, and a few others I can't remember. Fretboard Logic pretty much starts right off with the CAGED method, which has really helped me learn my way around the fretboard.

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

I just got a Chord book. No other books really. Learning everything from experimenting.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

+1 for BYCU!

ReplyQuote
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member

I'm using the "Guitar for Idiots" one. quite like it, gives some good information on makes if you're completely a newbie to guitar XD like me ...hehe...

I also bought a great, ten dollar Chord book along with it. pretty much has all the chords possible, nearly... 1600 or so. really great, since i can go to 911 tabs, find a song, and start working on it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3