Skip to content
If new guitar - cha...

Notifications
Clear all

If new guitar - change strings right away?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@forkoftuning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Have to ask since I currently live quite far from a guitar store, but tommorow when I'm buy my new guitar should I just get the strings changed and guitar setup right away to save time & hassle?

With my last fender I had this done after a few months since a string broke, but perhaps most people just have this done right away? I can hopefully get the setup and re-stringing thrown in after some barganing since the guitar is slightly overpriced as is due to availability here, I managed to get a small discount offered before. Its a Jackson Proseries, but does everyone replace the factory strings when buying?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If it's a pretty decent guitar you're buying, it shouldn't need much adjusting - as for strings, have a look at the ones that are on, if they're not your usual gauge, or if they're not nice and shiny, change them - if they feel and sound OK, keep them till they don't sound OK and DO feel horrible.....

Paying for a set-up's not a bad idea though, if you can afford it and if you think it's worth it.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

If your buying that guitar new, I would think they should set it up for you for free. As for the strings, they are not that expenxive and they should do that for you also. I change strings on new guitars most of the time because they can lose life just sitting around. The last guitar I got was an inexpensive one from Rondo that had D'Addario's on it. They actually felt pretty good. They played like new strings. A lot of times, even though the guitars are new the strings feel as if they have no life. Those I change. Now an instrument from a guitar shop ...... depends on how long it was there. How many unwashed hands pawed it? Who's fret jam is on there anyways? Those I change right off. I'd negotiate setup and strings into my deal. Those are things that don't really cost the shop anything at all so they will throw them in to make the sale. The techs are likely paid by the hour not the job, so if they are already there the owner will be happy to put them to work. How much do you think the music store pays for a pack of strings? I bet not much.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I agree with what TR and Vic said.

Usually you can get a few small extras thrown in with the deal more easily than you can get anything directly off the price.

You should be able to tell whether the guitar has been sitting around for a while and has been played a fair bit by other customers. If the strings show signs of tarnish and dullness with the odd shiny patch where fingers have been fretting them then I'd insist on them giving it a free clean and new strings as an automatic condition of purchase.

As for a setup, that depends a lot on the store, and on your own experience. They may well tell you it doesn't need one because it's new and they come well set up, or because that particular one is already set up just fine. If you don't have the experience to point out anything in particular that you think needs adjusting then you're stuck with their assessment and what they tell you anyway.

I'm not that experienced so I tend to take a week or two to play a guitar and see how well it suits me before I think about changing anything about the setup. If I can spot something then I do it myself. But it can't hurt to at least ask about it before you put the money down. They may well have somebody there who can check it over and make any adjustments on the spot.

Good hunting. :)

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@forkoftuning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks its last years model [06], but unused and in very exellent condition. Jackson RR5 http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2913002548
I'm seriously in love with this guitar even though its very different from the strat I had before, it plays beautifully and sounded great when I went to play it already. I will change the strings right away since it made a big difference with my strat, and wait for the setup until after I play it for a few weeks. btw Generally do string through body guitars harder/take longer to string versus a tremelo type bridge? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

For all practical purposes it's the same idea. I'd say string through is a little easier though cause you don't have that trem block that is movable. I find taking a peak, from the side you are pushing the string from ... don't take a chance at poking out your eye, helps alot when I change mine. I just aim for the daylight. By the way .. VERY NICE guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm typically happy with the "factory" strings until they wear out. Maybe I'm just not discerning enough!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

When I bought my Jackson, a DX10D, the strings that were on it sucked. I had the guitar ordered in at my shop and it came with light gauge strings that couldn't stay in tune at all, granted I was using the FR, but no big deal really. I put on a set of DR Dimebag strings and have been happy since.

BTW, that is a sick paint job on an awesome guitar 8)

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I'd say look at the guitar; if the strings look and, more importantly, sound and feel OK to you, then go with them.

Personally, for the sake a few £'s I'd get a new string set when you buy the guitar, and put them on after a few days of playing with the strings that came with the guitar. This serves two purposes:

1) You will be able to hear the difference and tell if the strings that came with the guitar WERE actually any good, and
2) If they WERE a bit old, it will help you recognise what old strings sound like.

Plus, I just generally don't like the idea of other people's fingers having been all over my strings :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Plus, I just generally don't like the idea of other people's fingers having been all over my strings

Bingo! :lol: That is me too.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I agree with 10141748 - Reincarnate. Buy a spare set, play for a day or two and then swap 'em out. New strings make your guitar sound like a new guitar so you get a new guitar twice in one week!

ReplyQuote