Im a lost Beginner

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@samurai99)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,
Ive had an Electric Washburn for about 20 days and Ive managed to learn a few very basic chords like E, Em, G, D, C, A and Am But the probelem is that I need time to switch between the chords and I was wondering how I could increase my fretting speed. Im also lost apart from trying out some tunes like 007 and MI i dont know what to do next should I learn more chords?or songs?or stuf flike hammer ons, pull offs?

Please help
Thanks in Advance.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

if you've learned all those chords by yourself then your doing good. it's true that you need time to switch betwen chords so that's what you need to practice. you can either pick chords and sit there an learn to change chords or you can pick simple, slow songs and learn it that way. the beginners songs section has songs there with instruction or you can peruse the easy songs forum and get some ideas there. techniques like hammer ons and pull offs will come in time.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Take a look at Improving Your Chord Changes.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

those are alot of chrods for a beginner i sure diddnt know all those, ^^^^ what he said is perfect jsut sit down with the chrods you know and play through them, the more practice you give it the better you will get.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

More chords.....yes
More songs......yes
Hammer ons and pull offs...........yes

In short.......try everything!

If you're playing electric then I suggest trying out a few simple powerchords such as

--x---
--x---
--7---
--7---
--5---
--x---

and

--x---
--x---
--x---
--7---
--7---
--5---

As a lot of music can be played with only these types of chords (bands like Offsping, Sum41, Greenday and Blink 182).

These types of chords can be played anywhere on the neck, just move that shape up or down.

Many people here have commented on how they play these chords, whether to play a double barre or use single fingers. See what works best for you. If you struggle, don't worry - we all did at first. Just keep at it, it'll come! :)

As for faster chord changes, im afraid it's just that dreaded word. Practice. *shudders* It can be fun though, check out the link to an article (posted by Musenfreund) above, it is agood'un.

Also I notice a lot of guitarists suggest learning to play scales. These are especially important if you want to play lead guitar or create your own solos, or even understand why solo's work (in theory). This will also help your fingers move faster, helping with chord changes. Full circle! wahay!

There's a lot out there for a new guitarist to learn. Enjoy!

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Your asking and expecting too much from yourself in the first month. Use the link above to practice your chord changes. With the chords you already know there will be plenty of songs you can play. Use the GN easy song lessons. Even if you don't like the songs your learning they are an important step.

You should also look to buy at least 2 more guitars, you have 10 days before your first month is out. Might as well get that over with as soon as possible. (Just kidding, stick around here and you'll see what I mean)

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Electric ('Strat style')
Electric ('LP Style')
Electric ('Assorted other style')
Electric (Hollow body)
Electric-Acoustic
Acoustic (Steel)
Acoustic (Nylon)
Resonator (Wood body)
Resonator (All metal)

So I reckon the OP needs at least 8 more guitars.....now then, did anybody say Amplifier?

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Just realised, I totally forgot about 12 string guitars, double knecked guitars, and banjos :)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Okay - fun's fun (and it was funny) but let's get back on track...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There is a saying "You need to learn how to walk, before you can run".

Which means you need to learn things slowly, in time speed will come. Its playing slow thats really harder than playing fast. Put some soul and feeling into your playing. Once you've learned the basic chords and have them down , you'll start changing between them faster the more you practice.

Take a look at the songs here at GN is a good place to start.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

Don't forget the bass, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mando-bass, ukulele, balalaika, oud, sitar... MASTER OF ALL TRADES!

Kinda sad, I actually want/have all those instruments... I have a mandolin, bass, and a ukulele.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I would say try t find someone to play with or look into guitar lessons.

I tried learning/teaching myself, as no one i knows plays. However, I was struggling with certain things that I felt would/could inhibit my learning. Therefore I decided to take lessons and I'm glad I did. My teacher has fixed (and is still fixing) several things that books and videos just cant teach you. Plus, you get feedback and that goes a long way.

It really depends on what your after. There are some great beginners lessons here at GN.

I would certainly get a metronome and work on timing. as they say, "timing is everything". :wink:

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

One more thing....

I read anything and everything I could find about the guitar. There are several great sites full of info, GN being one of the best of course.

Can you read music? Learn music notation...and tab.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@joevan)
Eminent Member

Going back to the switching between chords problem, you may already know or do this, but it is worth looking at the fingering of chords and look for pivot points or small slides. E.g moving from A to E or A to D you can incorporate a pivot point, this is where one of the fingers you already have on the first chord (A in the example) forms part of the next chord (D in the example).

Other chords that can use this technique is the change from D7 to C, and also you can use a simple slide from D7 to G.

This all assumes that you are playing open chords! Overtime, these techniques become useful in increasing speed in chord changing.

ReplyQuote