Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to change chords in the middle of an arpeggio

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coffeemug)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to play a song by using arpeggio. The first part works fine, but then there is a section where the chords change quickly. Is it possible to change the chord in the middle of an arpeggio :?:

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, depending on what the song calls for.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you can do what I think you're asking... and no, you can't change chords in the middle of an arpeggio. Now I'll try to clear up that confusing answer :)

Let's say a chord change is Cmaj7-Em9, and you're playing C-E-G-B-D notes over the Cm7. If the chord changes during that arpeggio, and you keep playing those notes, now you're playing a Cmaj7 arpeggio over Em9... so you're still playing a Cmaj7 arpeggio. It's certainly one of your options.

On the other hand, if the chord change hits and you shift notes, like this:

Cm7 Em9
C-E-G-B-C-B-G-E-D-E-G-B-D-F#-etc.

the notes you're playing right at the change to Em9 happen to be those common to both the Cmaj7 and the Em9 chords. The way you view that depends on where you say the Cmaj7 arpeggio ended - you can say it ended on the second Bb note, so the next G began the Em9 arpeggio on the third... or you could say the Cmaj7 ended on the E (the next note, D, is not in Cmaj7) and shifted to Em9 there.

And that brings me to why you can't change chords in the middle of an arpeggio... at some point, on either G or E, you've ended the Cmaj7. That's the end of the Cmaj7 arpeggio - which doesn't have to be C, Bb, or any other specific note - and the next note starts the next arpeggio.

That probably seems like splitting hairs, huh? There's a reason, though - when you think in terms of arpeggios, you don't want to clutter up your head with also having to think about which notes belong to both backing chords. You just think Cmaj7 until you're done with it - no matter what the harmony is - and then you start thinking Em9 and use that one till you're done with it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Noteboat i don't know where do you find time to write these brilliant answers even after ur teaching schedule.That's simply great.(i go to college and i hardly find time to hang on Gnoise :? )

ReplyQuote
(@coffeemug)
Topic starter  

NoteBoat thank you for your indepth answer:D It works resonable well just continuing the first chord ignoring the next.

ReplyQuote
(@lucky419)
Eminent Member

um, I actually have been wondering this myself. NoteBoat thanks for that explaination it's cleared some stuff up in my head :D.

ReplyQuote