Clear all

Is this normal

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think it is but I ask anyway.....after more then 4 months my fingers still get some stiffness and slight pain, (not the tips but fingers) ......when I play for 10 minutes its OK, but after a half hour to an hour I can feel them stiffning up again. When i'm not playing its noticible although nothing I can't deal with. Is this all part of process and does it stop at some point? I may not be relaxed enough because my thumb is sometimes the worst, when that finger should have the least pressure

(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I've been playing about as long as you but I've also had RSI problems before that required a doctor. Pain is a bad thing, if it hurts stop. You might want to consider taking a break for a few days. Also if it hurts all the time seeing a doctor might be a good option.
Other advice RELAX your hands and your whole arm. do not play the same chord for more then a few minutes you gotta let your muscles move a bit. Also some streching might help.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Running your hands under warm water before practicing can help pre-loosen the fingers. Like the above, if it hurts, STOP. Tendonitis sucks, I got it from climbing and couldn't play anything for 2 weeks.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I think i'll just shorten my practice time and try to relax. I do the water thing that helps

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Part of getting better is getting in touch with your body. Stretch out before playing, stay loose and relax a little bit, focus on your shoulders and forarms occasionally when you're playing, they tend to tense up, and loosening them up can help things.

Take frequent breaks.

Make sure your technique isn't causing unnessesary stress.

Alan should be in here shortly with a link to Jaime's site. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the site, but there are some great relaxation tips that anyone can put to use. Sorry I can't recall the URL at the moment.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote