Notifications
Clear all

Lesson Song

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@connor)
Topic starter  

Hi after self learning for a couple of months I have managed to get myself a teacher. I have only had two lessons but the differnce has been amazing. He gave me a couple of songs just to build up chord changes and it really has helped. One being "when the saints go marching in" and another that he wont tell me the name of until we have the full lesson song mapped out :? So to my question at long last. Even with my playing it does sound very familar :D but I cant think what the heck it is, is there any online resource you can query chords and it tells you possible songs. LOng shot I know.
If anyone fancies taking a look i have uploaded i piccy of the lesson here we are finishing off the song next and apparently it involves some seventh chords :o which will be new to me.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

My guess

Unchained Melody?? But that is just a guess.. and being a beginner that feels like he is really stinking at guitar lately... I wouldnt bank on it :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Hmm...I played it through once following the chords on the pic in 4/4 as it's noted and it didn't sound very familiar to me. Now Im curious as to what it is. AHHHHHH :evil:

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I'm like you, sounds familiar but can't make it out. When we find out it's going to seem so easy I'm sure.

ReplyQuote
(@connor)
Topic starter  

LOL glad its just not me. My next lesson is on Wednesday and the tutor has promised when we have the last bit mapped out if I still dont know it he will tell me. Although its frustrating not knowing the song I cant believe how the lesson has helped my chord changes. Two weeks ago I couldnt get from F to G and now it happens without a thought. What also has surprised me is I dont need to look at the chord sheet anymore. The patterns are embedded in the memory never to be forgotten.

Anyways I will hopefully post back on Wednesday with the song name.

Cheers

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@moonchild)

I found Unchained Melody using google on the C Am F G C Am G sequence: cf http://www.mattsmusicpage.com/u2/unchain.htm . This sequence would be the verse, and the chorus goes like C G Am Em F G C C7 according to this site, which is also on your tab (with a C instead of the C7) so I guess it could be it. I don't know this song. However, it is interesting to notice that the chord sequence is definitely not what gives a song its identity, this could be just anything. What sort of rythm do you give to the song? Do you fingerpick or strum it? Any clue about the melody?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

WOOT!! What do I win!!??!! heh For me, when I tried what was on his lesson paper I just strummed and let it ring out for 4 beats, then I moved on to the next note and let it ring out for 4 beats. After a while the lyrics just kind of popped in my head and it seemed like the song.

Guess we will all know for sure when he goes back for his next lesson. Tell your teacher we are sorry if we ruined the surprise. :twisted:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@connor)
Topic starter  

Well done with Unchained melody that was right. The teacher did say it wasnt exactly the correct chord and have now got the proper score. He didnt want to over face me with too many new chords at the beginning.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I amuse myself. I love that song. It reminds me of my mother who died of cancer when I was 12. Probably if I hadn't played it over and over through out my life I wouldnt have guessed it.

Glad you posted it though cause that is a really great lesson for chord changes and getting the hand of it. I really like the changes.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@connor)
Topic starter  

geoo, glad you liked it. I have found it a great help. I have even found myself improvising some stuff with just those few chords. He has now given me the current number 1 in the UK song to learn "show me the way to armadillo". As he said its a corny song but introduces another strumming pattern down / up instead of just down strokes. I will see how that goes. He has also told me to think of 6 song that I know / like and he will tailor the lessons on those for the next few weeks (or in my case months :D )

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Sounds like fun Connor.. and noway that it will take you months.. Once you get going its pretty easy to pick up on new ones. Atleast until you find a new chord or technique that you need to learn. That is the way it has been for me.

My teacher doesnt ask me which songs I want to play. I kind of wish he would but then again I learn the songs I like on my own with TAB and this site.. and then I get to experience things I would have never tried without my teacher.

Good luck on it all

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If your teacher doesn't ask you which songs you like to play, it's up to you to ask him....the worst that could happen is he'll tell you "you aren't ready for that yet".....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Actually I prefer his way. Its songs that I would never have thought of on my own. Like I said, the song I like and want to learn.. I just do so myself by using tab. Its working well for us.

Jim

ReplyQuote