it has arrived

27 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What DVD did you get?

Oh, and did you have to setup your guitar? Or was it all setup from the start?

i set it all up myself.

i got the rock house dvd or something. not one of the reccomended ones, but i like the way it starts you out.

i do have a question though: why in the hell does my strap seem so infinitely long? i stand up and my guitar is hanging basically at my knee caps

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

wow, thats an awesome first setup man, congrats :-)
have fun with it!

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Does it tell you how to set it up and/or was it tough?

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does it tell you how to set it up and/or was it tough?

im not entirely sure what you mean. i pretty much plugged everything in, tuned it and played.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Okay, because I've heard sometimes you have to pay to get your guitar completely set up...I'm not too sure on how valid that is though.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Okay, because I've heard sometimes you have to pay to get your guitar completely set up...I'm not too sure on how valid that is though.

That is a different term. A "Setup" means that someone has taken the time to make sure the distance between the strings and fretboard (The action) is appropriate, makes sure that the frets arent to sharp (Sometimes they are edgy). Makes sure that the intonation is set right so it stays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Congrats on the new guitar. Practice practice practice. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Most of all.. HAVE FUN

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^^You think it's worth paying $20 to get that done?

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

here is an idea, i was wondering if its a good one?

i was thinking of buying a stop watch, and going from a to g open chords and trying to beat my time, wondering if this will help me with chord changes. as that's the hurdle i will appear to be battling first and foremost.

does this seem tangible, or will it just lead me to more frustration

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Speed is only part of the equation. Consistent rhythm is more important than raw speed.

Get, or download a drum machine or metronome, and work with that.
You can still do speed trials if you want to, but it'll help you make sure that each chord and change is evenly timed.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Speed is only part of the equation. Consistent rhythm is more important than raw speed.

Get, or download a drum machine or metronome, and work with that.
You can still do speed trials if you want to, but it'll help you make sure that each chord and change is evenly timed.

well the reason i asked this is because i can not yet physically change from one chord to another, so worrying about the distinction of sound from one chord to next as per the rhythm is not yet a concern -- i can't go from an a to b to c. i figured by working on my speed from changing from one to another, i will then be able to pick up the rhythm with greater ease. knowing the rhythm can only do so much if you can only play it at the slowest speed known to man. :)

i have a metronome in my multi pedal, also.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

^^^You think it's worth paying $20 to get that done?

Yes, I think that is pretty cheap.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Precision is much more important than speed, speed is a byproduct of accuracy and repetition and confidence. Practice your chords until you can do them in your sleep and you will find out that the speed issue will take care of itself.

A proper setup is a "tune up" of your guitar to make it as easily playable and sound it's best. It involves the action, (how high the strings are off the fretboard) intonation, (do all the notes seem in tune all the way up the neck)
pickup height, and other things. A LOT of people quit playing guitar because it's more difficult than it has to be. Most guitars are shipped with the action high so that everyones individual tastes can be met. Some people like high action and some prefer low. It's usually not that expensive or difficult to do, if you know anyone who plays, try their guitar and see.

By the way,

The only stupid question is one you DON'T ask!

There are a ton of people here who will try to answer all of your questions, no matter how simple, that's how we all started!

By the way, welcome to the madhouse! :wink:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2