Clear all

Jonny Lang: If this is love

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bigh29)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I heard this today, and really like the shuffle. However, I have a few questions.

This song doesn't feel like 12 bar blues. When I count out the measures, I get 16 or 8, depending on what I think a measure is. Am I correct on that? So is this a 16 bar blues or 8 bar blues song? What is the time signature for this?

I want to learn how to play this, but don't answer with how to play it just yet. I would like to try to figure that out on my own (which is something I'm not very good at).

I will try to post a link where you can listen to the song. Unfortunately, I am at work, and cool sites like that are blocked. :evil:

EDIT Ok, here is a link where you can listen to the song:

http://www.imeem.com/simplysuzy/music/zoJbTlCa/jonny_lang_if_this_is_love/

Here is the first verse:

E A
I don't know why, I always act as a fool
E B7 C7 B7
everytime, I get close to you
E A
My head start(s) to aching, my knees start to shaking
E B7 C7 E
If this is love, I'd rather have the blue(s)

H^2

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I don't know this song - but a blues does not necessarily have to be 12bar. Most likely he has added a few bars so I would guess your count to 16 makes sense. Then again - if you like to - you're welcome to count it in half speed and reach 8 - it doesn't really matter

good luck with figuring it out :-)

edit - incredibly many spelling errors for such a short post

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The 12 bar blues is the most common form but 8, 16, and 24 bar blues are also out there (maybe others too). Whether it's 8 or 16 is going to depend on the pattern of the chord changes. Do the changes repeat after 8 bars or 16 bars?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@bigh29)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The 12 bar blues is the most common form but 8, 16, and 24 bar blues are also out there (maybe others too). Whether it's 8 or 16 is going to depend on the pattern of the chord changes. Do the changes repeat after 8 bars or 16 bars?
If my concept of what a bar is for this song is correct, then the first 8 bars repeat, save for a turnaround lick. The entire first set of 16 bars repeats for the second verse.

H

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I had a listen to it and it seems to me to be a 16 bar blues. The verses are 16 bars long and it doesn't turn around until the end of the 16 bars. That little bit at the end of the first 8 bars is ornamentation, I think.

I didn't know he had a new album out. I have his first one and got it when it first came out. I was always amazed that a teenager could sound like he'd spent a lifetime smoking and drinking bad whisky.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote