Clear all

Just a new guy with some questions

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

There is no 'TIMING' information in TAB. Timing is just as important as which notes to play.

Huh?

|--3---| |---3----|
E a +E +E E E a +S +S S E E a +E
|-----------------------12--------------------------------------|
|--------------------12-----------------------------------------|
|---14b16==(16)-(16)-------14b16==(16)r(14)p12----14-12b13-(13)-|
|----------------------------------------------14---------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|

I think the main "problem" with tabs is that they make it "too easy" - you can play anything right off the page without having any idea which notes you play. Pretty soon that will limit your understanding of what you play. There are no short-cuts to become a good guitar player - tabs may seem like one, but eventually they turn out to be a dead end *unless* you put in effort to understand what you play. When learning SN you (almost) have to put in that effort from the begining

2 cents from me

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@yamaha88)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey everyone i appreciate everyones comments, you all deff know what you are talking about. but im not trying to become a good player fast. I was just concerned as to why i was not learing TAB. i am learning notes now, when im done with that is that when TAB comes? i want to know what most teachers do. Is anyone a teacher here? what do you do to your students

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

hey everyone i appreciate everyones comments, you all deff know what you are talking about. but im not trying to become a good player fast. I was just concerned as to why i was not learing TAB. i am learning notes now, when im done with that is that when TAB comes? i want to know what most teachers do. Is anyone a teacher here? what do you do to your students

The problem Yamaha is that there isnt one answer or one way of being taught. I think its really great that your teacher is having you learn the note names on the fretboard.

There is no one way. You've started the adventure of learning guitar. Now, just practice daily. Start with what your teacher is teaching you and then when you are able to understand how to teach yourself things.. then do some of that as well. There not one way.. there are many many ways.

My teacher started me off with scales, I think. Then he tabbed a song each week and slowly we worked over it. I wouldnt learn the whole song at first and it really felt like we were going to fast but the main point is that I was learning how to learn and I was picking up bits and peices. Then we started learning whole songs and committing them to memory. All the while, he was teaching me different styles. Country, blues, rock, and so forth. Now, I am by no means a great guitar player but I practice daily and I am enjoying myself and I do this knowing that in time I will be a pretty darn good guitar player.

Dont get wrapped up in "the race" just kick back and enjoy playing. You dont really need a map cause your objective is to be a decent guitar player and you can get there with any route you chose as long as you practice.

Have fun
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@yamaha88)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can I buy say a Sublime book that is written in Notes instead of TAB?

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member

My guitar teacher did the exact same thing to me. He said "Hey, Aaron, what would you like me to teacher you?" and I said "Teach me to be the best guitar player in the world." and he followed up by saying "Do you want me to teach you how to read music?" and when I said "No" he said "Good because im not interested in teaching you how to"

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I think it's important to at least get some standard notation in, or at least, have a good understanding of the notes on the guitar neck and how they relate to each other in a song. Most of the professional musicians that I know don't actually "read sheet music" but use it to recognize a pattern in the song, sorta like speed reading. I think its true that standard notation does give you more info than tab, I've never been able to play a song that I've never heard before by using just tab, but I've come close to it in standard notation. Yes, it was a lot more time consuming, I,m not very good at reading it, but I was able to get an idea on how the song was structured. (i.e. key, timing, chord structure, modes....) After a long time of just using tabs, I started noticing patterns occuring in a lot of music and I got curious about it and started to try to learn some theory. It was really difficult at first but just like learning how to play a barre chord, one day I realized that I actually understood what the hell was going on, at least a little bit!

Nothing bad about tab in itself, I think tab is one of the reasons that there are a lot more guitar players now than when I was younger, I think that it has made guitar playing more accessable to people who wouldn't normally even try attempting something that requires some preliminary understanding of standard notation before being able to play something recognizable. JMHO I played for sooo long before I realized that if I got some theory behind me, I would be a better player!

I think that your teacher is using a good approach, give you a taste of the basics, and then cut you loose with tab. You may not realize it today, or for that matter, a few years, but you will appreiciate it down the road. 8)

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2