Notifications
Clear all

Left hand fingering for Silent Night

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sergio)
Topic starter  

I am learning Silent Night by David Hodge, and was wondering if there are any advice on fingering for the left hand. Sure would be nice to include these as part of the lesson for the beginners like me. I find that switching from one chord to next sometimes seems correct with one fingering position, then it doesn't quite work in another measure.
Thanks to all.

Sergio

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sergio, the fingering for left handed is the same as right handed just facing the opposite direction. For easy reference your fingers are numbered. The index is # 1, the middle is #2, the ring is #3 and the pinky is #4. The strings are numbered 1 to 6 with the high e (at the bottom) being # 1 and the low E (at the top) being # 6.

If it helps you go to my site I have both left and right handed chord and scale charts.

And welcome to GN..

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You mean just the left hand, not left handed right?

I could probably work up a quick video.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You mean just the left hand, not left handed right?

I could probably work up a quick video.
Good catch Nick. What was I thinking :oops:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sergio)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Yes, I meant left hand (the fret hand). Video would be helpfull or just finger assignments on the notes i.e. 1 - 4.

Thanks!!

Sergio

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Good to hear somebody else that's working on Christmas music! (It 's less than two months away!) Actually, I occasionally play Christmas stuff all year around, and Silent Night's my favorite. I've got a slide version that my guitar teacher wrote for me nearly 4 years ago in Open G. I mix it up with some rhythmic variations and such. Sometimes I also do it in Open D or E (you just move the whole thing over one string toward the bass side, and that opens up some different things you can do on the 1st and 6th strings, depending on which way you go.)

Lots of cool stuff you can do with familiar old Christmas songs!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I've been working on this song for a couple weeks now and I think I just about have it down. I am not sure I play it EXACTLY like Hodge says to but its sounds pretty good and was really fun to learn.

Most the song is just a C chord and G chord. Best advice I can offer is to just take it one or two measures at a time and work them out.. then when you put it together it will slowly come together.

Which measures are you having trouble with specifically?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@sergio)
Topic starter  

Hi Geoo:
I am having trouble with measure 5 "All is calm".
I am using finger (1) on E5, (4) on B7 and (3) on G7. This seems most logical to me, yet clasping my ring finger and pinky together needs some practice.

Also on the first measure I use (and I am questioning my choice) fingers (2) on E3 and (3) on B3.
Although this is seems natural in this measure, I see that in similar situation in measure 8, I can run into trouble, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Sorry for this short-hand notation, I am using open string note names with position in TAB.

Sergio

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

A little off topic but there's an interesting story behind Silent Night. It's one of the few if not the only Christmas song written for guitar. It seems the organ at the writers church was broken and a song was need for Christmas. So the writers (Words by Joseph Mohr and the melody was composed by Franz X. Gruber)wrote and performed the song with guitar.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

Hi Geoo:
I am using finger (1) on E5, (4) on B7 and (3) on G7. This seems most logical to me, yet clasping my ring finger and pinky together needs some practice.

That's how I'd play it too. You could use fingers 2 & 3, but I wouldn't do that unless finger 4 had another note to play. Once you get used to the two fingers working together, you won't have a problem with it.

Also on the first measure I use (and I am questioning my choice) fingers (2) on E3 and (3) on B3.
Although this is seems natural in this measure, I see that in similar situation in measure 8, I can run into trouble, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

In bar 8 you'll probably want to use the 3rd finger for E3 (G) and 4th finger on B3 (D) as you'll need your 1st finger on the B string. When you make the walk up in bar 8, you can use finger 2 on A2 (B on the 5th string) and finger 4 on B3 again on beat 3. So you might want to use the same fingering throughout...

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hi Geoo:

Sorry for this short-hand notation, I am using open string note names with position in TAB.

I think I play it a bit different. On the ALL IS part I have my first finger on the 5 fret of the 1st string, my second finger on the 7th fret of the 3rd string, my ring finger on the 7th fret of the 2nd string.

That is where my fingers are positioned and I start out "ALL IS" by playing the open A, and the 1st string at the same time, then the 4th string with my thumb, third sting with my thumb, 1st string with my index finger, 2nd string with my index finger, and finally the 3rd string again with my index finger.

Then comes "CALM" and I simply change back to a standard D chord XX0232, and play strings 4 and 1 at the same time, then strings 3, 2, 1, 2, 3.

Almost has a little harp sound to it. I too much of a beginner to try to explain it better and I REALLY hope I didnt confuse you more. When I get back from church I will record what I just stated here SLOWLY and maybe that will make more sense.

This song is WELL worth it once you get it down. It taught me so much about playing fingerstyle and gave me confidense to try other things.

Geoo

Here is the link to my recording. I hope it helps. I am playing it in segments and then at the end I play the whole song but I really did a poor job. I suddenly got really nervous playing it and made alot of mistake. I hope it helps you.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@sergio)
Topic starter  

Guys, thanks for the input.
I will try these finger combinations and see what works best for me.
There is at least one thing that I am learning from this execise - PLANNING. I need to go through all the notes first and plan fingerings before actually starting to practice each measure.

Sergio

ReplyQuote