Clear all

Les Paul Problem

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kryogenik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The guitar I use is an Epiphone Les Paul, it's a decent bit heavier than my other two guitars and it cuts off my blood circulation when I have it on my leg while I'm playing. I didn't notice that for a while, but now it hurts my leg whenever I play because I have to rest my guitar on it. I have to concentrate more on trying to alleviate the pain than on my playing itself, and I'm not really sure what to do. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there anything I can do besides getting a strap and having to stand up when I play? Keep in mind that my Les Paul is my only decent guitar, my other electric is a crappy strat copy and the other is a cheap acoustic that I never really use. Thanks for any help.

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

you dont have to stand up just because you are using a strap :D

Try using a strap but making it a lot shorter so when you sit down and play the weight of the guitar is shared between your shoulders and your knees.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Why don't you want to stand up? I know when practicing it's alot easier to sit then stand and in that case I'd listen to allman but
if you are ever going to play with other people or in a band you probably will be standing up so you need to practice that way.

It's a slightly different animal when you stand. When I first started I always sat when I played. The first time I tried standing up and playing was like I never touched a guitar before, it was like a foreign object.

It didn't take really long to get used to it but it did take a little time before it became comfortable.

I still usually practice the material sitting down and then when I have it I'll stand to play along to a CD or whatever and there are still times were there is a transition that I need to go through before playing it standing up feels comfortable.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

which leg; the right or left. most play with the guitar on thee right leg. try using the left. you will have to reposition the guitar and that could relieve the pressure point.
and yes, standing is a good alternative. standing and playing is also a different beast as Cnev said.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Interesting. I've noticed that my Epiphone Dot is heavy and particularly that it's heavy on the headstock end. Although it doesn't hurt my leg, it tends to slip off if I'm sitting on a stool. So when I play using a stool I use a strap. For home practice I usually sit in a chair and use a footrest made from scrap lumber and carpet scraps. You can buy a real one for around $10. Sometimes just a slight change in playing position helps a lot.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrFootRest

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK... so when your playing sitting, are you leaning over to look at the fretboard???? I found myself doing this before, and was leaning over, and pushing the guitar into my leg.Not so much with my LP, but with the strat I had. If not... well could just be some strange pressure point thats its sitting on... Look for a small foam pad thats a little squishy.. Kinda like a padded mouse pad. It will be thin enough to not realy get in the way, but might be just enough to soffen the contact aera, and spred the load out a little.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I can't stand to sit when I'm playing ............ :shock: Huh??? I play standing almost exclusively. Don't hang that Les Paul too low either. Somewhere between the crotch and navel usually gets you good posture and is easiest on the back. I never cared to wear it as a bow tie. I also use strap locks. First time I dropped my Gibson (long since traded) I wanted to cry. It's just my opinion but I hate to play sitting down.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I too have a Les Paul problem! I want one but havent got the money for one ;)

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote