Clear all

metronome question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@xtremesheep)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

does anyone have anytips on practicing with a metronome. i know how to use it and stuff. like turn it up faster as u get better and stuff. but i'm having alot of trouble like playing as it clicks . and when i mess up i get like all messed up and stuff. it seems like it makes me play worse. is it really nesesary to use one?

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I've been practicing with one lately too.

You said that you are having trouble playing along with it and that it messes up your playing. What you are discovering is that your time is way off. You should be glad that you discovered this and the metronome is the perfect way to fix it!

Set the metronome to a bmp where you could play your lick smoothly and effortlessly. Something like whole notes at 40 bmp. This may seem really slow, but spend some time analyzing your technique. How is your picking at this speed, is your wrist in the proper position, ect. You can learn a heck of a lot by really slowing down. Then up the metronome speed to where you reach a "breaking point", where the lick is still playable but is difficult and you struggle to play it for extended periods of time. Then slow the metronome back down a bit, and repeat until you have the lick down at the speed you want. Its like lifting weights, you want to build the bmp slowly up.

Hope this helps,
Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dustin is right if you are messing up it's because you have the metronome set to fast, slow it down a bit and then only move up when you can play at tempo.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote