Notifications
Clear all

playing chords.. help

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@uberlc)
Topic starter  

when I play a chord and try and switch my fingers to play another chord, the fingers sort of lift the string off and another note is heard while I change chords

is there a way to stop this?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like your fingertips are still soft.. as your callouses develop, your fingertips will be harder and it'll stop on its own.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

On a slightly different note, one of the hardest things to learn is that it's okay to have sound between chords. Say you're playing a G and then switching to a C. Even if your fingers don't get to that C before your strumming hand starts hitting strings again it's okay. Actually preferable to having a dead silence between chords. Hopefully your problems will resolve.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I agree whole heartedly. I noticed awhile ago that alot of my up strums on a chord change are hitting the lower strings (G, B, e) before or as I set on the next chord and it sounded pretty good. It actually started occurring when I was concentrating on keeping the strumming going with the metronome when changing chords instead of a habit I was getting into of adding a slight pause until my fingers were set.

I also remember a song from years ago that called for all open chords and strumming the 4 bottom strings open in between each chord change. I think it was the rhythm for Wipeout or one of those types of songs.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It reminds me of a Nirvana guitar book that suggests to strum all the open strings once between one particular chord change. Pretty wild.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote