Clear all

Moving down the frets

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 aiki
(@aiki)
Topic starter  

Hi, so glad to have found this. I have been using the tutorials for the last month or so of my 4month guitar experience. Its great.
My question is, I watch video tutorials and the guy seems to be playing a scale but moves along the frets quite a bit more than the usual 4 fingers ie. pentatonic. It always sounds so good on the electric{what I'm learning mostly} I play the different scales to warm up but they start to sound the same after a bit even if I change orders ect. I'd like a really rocky movement to practise that moves up the frets. Anyone no where I can look.

Also when I try a pinched harmonic using pick & thumb edge it just mutes the string, whats that about?

Thanks
Jon

(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

You were probably observing what is known as "modal scales". This is a realm I am exploring at the moment, but I believe there are 7 modal scales. The first one is the ionian (which is otherwise known as the major scale) which I have attempted to transcribe below, but the formatting might mess it up. :oops:

E---------------------------------------------------------11-13-14--14-13-11-------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------11-13-14-------------------------14-13-11--------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------10-11-13------------------------------------------------13-11-10---------------------------------
D----------------------10-11-13-----------------------------------------------------------------------13-11-10---------------------
A------------9-11-13----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------13-11-9-----------
E---9-11-13----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------13-11-9--

This can be linked with a minor scale (which I think in this case would be starting on the 5th fret low E string? - not sure on my theory here :oops:). It boils down to the notes within the scale . . . so long as the notes are the same as those within the scale(i.e., E, F# etc.) then any of them will sound "right". As such, you can combine several scales together to form huge marching scales from one end of the fretboard to the other. :D

Hope this has helped. . . . hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will be along shortly to add to this. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote