Notifications
Clear all

Must I learn to read music ?

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

a guitar magazine from your local shop (which will have something far more interesting in standard notation, tab and chord boxes all on the same page). Then ask your guitar teacher to teach you to read music from the magazine.

Guitar World - The most popular guitar magazine in the US don't use standard notation. I wonder where kids get the idea that you don't need to learn to read music? :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I like to read music so I can play electric guitar in musicals like Jesus Christ Superstar or some such.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I don't subscribe to GW, but the back copies that I do have use both standard notation and tab. So does Guitar Player.

Most popular is a selctive thing, too... GW sells more copies each month (about 200,000 copies vs. GP's 155,000), but it has fewer subscribers (99,000+ vs. GP's 111,000+). I think what that says is over 70% of Guitar Player's readers are sure the next issue will be worth reading, but 50% of GW readers want to wait and see what's in it before committing money.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

GW readers want to wait and see what's in it before committing money.

That's not very smart. :lol: I always subscribe for 12 Dollars for 12 issues with no CD.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I like to read music so I can play electric guitar in musicals like Jesus Christ Superstar or some such.

Scale for 2 shows a night, 3 on Saturdays adds up :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yes sir it sure does. :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think what that says is over 70% of Guitar Player's readers are sure the next issue will be worth reading, but 50% of GW readers want to wait and see what's in it before committing money.

I have a theory why that's the case. More old dudes buy Guitar Player magazine than Guitar World. They subscribe because they have money to throw around. The younger dudes don't take the time to subscribe because they would rather buy a CD or something, but if they're at the grocery store and Dimebag is on the cover that's when they'll pick it up. It don't have nothing to do with the quality of the magazine.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2