Notifications
Clear all

Need help finding a guitar

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@michael-hopcroft)
Topic starter  

I need to find a new guitar as cheaply as i can, while at the same time getting a decent guitar that I'll be able to use for a while.

I am a complete novice as a player, so this guitar will have to be what I learn to play with. I was thinking of an acoustic, because that's what most of the people in my musical genre use (plus it's hard to carry an amp around a hotel for three days!). Given that I don't have a lot of money to spend 9and may nto be able to raise the money for a few weeks anyway), I'm trying to see what i can get for $125 or less and what all I would need.

I also need to figure out what sort of instruction I need, but that's for another post.

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I could be wrong, but you might want to save up another 60 bucks or so. I don't know much about acoustics, but it will be hard to find a decent one, and get a tuner too for under 125.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Yeah I'd say for that price the quality of the guitar you get might keep you from wanting to play. I'd save up some money or try and find a used guitar, since they can be quite a bit cheaper for decent value. Just make sure there's no glaring problems with it first.

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member

Tough call getting under that number with more than just a guitar and making sure there is some kind of quality there. Here are a few suggestions. I would check out as many user reviews on these as I could before making a choice, though.

http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/515366?src ="AWBZ4C2" (probably my recommendation)

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-AJ100-Player-Pack-i153757.music

http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/516451?src ="AWBZ4C2"

[/url]

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote
(@michael-hopcroft)
Topic starter  

Acutally, I just an offer of a sued guitar from one of the other tenants in my building. he only wants $25 for it, but that's just the guitar -- no acceories.

I suspect that even if I buy it, it would be a good idea for me to take it into a shop to get it re-strung.

Also, if a used guitar is THAT cheap should I be prepared for trouble?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol. I read that as sued, like the cloth material, and I thought "What in the hell". But used, I got ya. 25 bucks, it's hard to say. You'd be better off either way if you had a friend/knew someone who could try it out and let you know if it was worth buying. Thats the best thing I can tell you without trying the guitar my self.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@abeidson)
Trusted Member

25 bucks could be a great steal depending on the guitar.. they may be selling it because they do not know what they have... or it could be complete crap.

As for 125 bucks If you want new I would definitely try and say save up for a new one.. for about 200 bucks you can get a good solid top beginners guitar that will last you a while.. a Seagull or Washburn (Could be a little more if the only sell with a case as well ) If you have time to search you may be able to find a good used washburn d-10 or seagull through a Pawn Shop or Ebay but you may still want to go new since it is not that much more ( fyi I did find a nice Washburn D-10 on e-bay used for about 100 bucks and you can get a tuner for around 15 bucks on ebay as well)

I wanna Rock N Roll all night... Ahh who am I kidding I'll be in bed at 9 pm....

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member

Save up, I bought a crappy cheap acoustic at first saying it's just for my beggining but really it destroyed my wanting to play. Now I am saving up to give it another try.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I got my acoustic for about $125. Its a cheap guitar, a Montana, but it sounds nice after you change the strings that come with it. Its great for a beginning guitar.

Also, I saw on Musicians Friend that they were selling an acoustic Washburn D100 guitar for $99. I know NOTHING about them but all the reviews were good. You might check there.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@washburned420)

I got the $100 Washburn and am very happy with it. Very easy to play and the quality is far above what you would expect for the money. If you want to upgrade later, you'll still have a great travel guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I was in Guitar Center last week and played a Sunburst Epiphone, It was 129.00 new... And I thought it sounded really good, the action was nice and low, which made it easy to play, I was tempted to buy it just to have a cheaper guitar I could drag around with out worry of dinging it up.

If you can find someone who plays to go with you , not the store salesman, I think you can find a pretty decent starter guitar close to your price range. You should also budget about 25 for a electronic tuner, 20 for a stand, and probably about 40 for a padded gig bag.... this and a few picks and your ready to go.

No need to worry about buying an expensive first guitar, as long as it plays easy, and will stay in tune. You will always have a place for an inexpensive guitar. As you learn to play you will better understand what is you want from a guitar and and be able to make a better decision when it comes time to lay down a little more cash on that second guitar.

Have fun........ just play

ReplyQuote